LE "Jungle Carbines", or imitations: your views. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > LE "Jungle Carbines", or imitations: your views.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

There were three Jungle carbines produced:\
No 5 - Made by the British on a No. 4 Mk 1 - This was the one with the wandering zero problem. It was never corrected and before too much development went into it the SLR was issued and bye bye No. 5 - Easily identifiable by the peep sights.
No. 6 - Made by Australia on a No. 1 Mk. III action (SMLE). - Did not have a wandering zero problem. Was not produced in mass numbers, and as a result is about as rare as hen's teeth. - Easily identified by the ramp sights and lithgow manufacturing stamps (if it didnt have Lithgow on it, then its not a No. 6)
No. 7 - Cant remember who made it. It was a No. 4 Mk 1 in 7.62 NATO. No wandering zero on this one either. - Ishapore is probably the origin on this one. The previous poster had it 100% right on the Indian LE's, they were made a lot stronger to handle the 7.62 round. You can rebarrel an LE to 7.62 but you have to be extremely careful on what ammo you feed it. If you accidentally toss a .303 round intended for a vicars machine gun in there (identifiable by headstamp only) then you will almost certainly have a catastrophe on your hands (or your survivor's hands).

They all had cone shaped flash hiders though, so yours might be a fake...or it could have just been replaced with something else.

As everyone else has stated though, there are a lot of imitations out there so beware of buying one. I would highly recomend getting a few good books on LE identification and thoroughly check out the rifle you are looking at before putting money into someone's hand on it. LE's are fun to collect, shoot and will provide you with many hours of amusement just tracking down the arsenal markings and stamps if you are very interested in them. I had 86 of them at one point, all with something different and cool on them. Great old rifle in my opinion (and i know..everyone has opinions).

Last edited by Hullcreature; 05-08-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Gibbs made a bunch of them. Gibbs has (had?) a good reputation.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #13

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I had an orginal that looked as if some on dunked it in a vat of brown latex paint.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:26 AM   #14

They painted the finish on those and most No 4s I've seen. It's a protective finish, just no very pretty. Although mine was black, not brown.

Gibbs converted No 1s and No 4s by cutting off the barrels. I guess they also had some No 5s as well.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I think Gibbs made a 45-70 as well.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-11-2009, 05:17 AM   #16

Thanks folks.

It was so difficult even finding an imitation for sale online (stores around Memphis never have them), that gave up, paid a little more and for the most part, bought one of the originals: "ROF (F)" # 6654, in order to know from the numerous photos what the object really looks like.
The seller imports most of his guns/militaria from Canada and provides more than a few photos for each gun and his descriptions are quite accurate. These are the main reasons I avoided "***broker".

It was Not an auction, and required none of those time-consuming auction games and guessing. It just seems like an unnecessary risk to find something nice and wonder whether a given bid will allow one to have the gun etc.

Last edited by Laufer; 05-13-2009 at 03:52 AM.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #17

Liked 286 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Military style carbines?

You want a short carbine thats fun and cheap to shoot?
Not many places to just blast away with full house military battle rifle rounds
I'd get a barrel & mag conversion kit for the Mauser or the Enfield and go with 7.62x39 or a .45ACP conversion, these would be more than adiquate for plinking and light hunting pluse depending on the conversion as in the .45 the use of Colt1911 mags is a pluse, the conversion of Enfields Ive seen the use of detachable 30round AK mags used.