Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Rifle Discussion (
-   -   Latest project (

VLG 12-08-2011 08:52 PM

Latest project
Got a nice little note from FirearmsTalk asking me to stop by "let you know what Ive been up to" , so I thought id do just that.
Latest project is the rebuilding of a 1903 Springfield '06, and it was finished in time for the last day of Elk Season here in OR. Reason the rebuild was necessary, started on the last day of Deer season here in OR. I was in an area here known as 10 mile Canyon, fairly rough country, and a section of Mountain gave way underneath me. I went down about 150 feet of rocky cliff and the stock of the '03 was shattered. (Funny thing , the only game I came across was the bear that came by to see if I was dead or not after I hit the bottom. Luckily I must have smelled as bad as I felt) Some nice history in the rifle, my Father had sporterized it originally, and he had crafted the stock. Anyway, even though I used what was left as a walking stick to get back up the cliff, after a thorough teardown and cleaning only the stock was lost. I ordered a used Bishop sporter stock from a real nice fellow I found through, and with a minimum of fitting. (Someone had used resin to match the stock to a reworked action) I had the rifle back together. I was going to re-blue it while I had it apart, but the worn places just...feel right so I left it. Added a couple of Uncle Mikes quick disconnect sling swivels and a reasonably priced nylon sling, and were back in the 30-06 business. I left the Lyman peep sights as that was how Dad had hunted it, and all in all it makes a nice combination of old and new rifle tech. I think at some point Ill take some of the nice blonde maple that is left from the original stock and do some inlay, just to keep the old work around.
Just took some pictures, and as usual I cant find the thingie that connects to the doohick in order to get the pictures onto the computer, so Ill post them later. Best wishes to all, have a good safe Winter.

TLuker 12-08-2011 10:07 PM

Please Post Pics
Please post some pics when you get a chance. I can't wait to see how it turned out. :)

tellmaster207 12-08-2011 10:41 PM

I'm glad you didn't get hurt or killed in the fall. You got one heck of a story to tell.
Plus just the stock got trashed.
No blood no fowl.

Txhillbilly 12-09-2011 01:45 AM

Those old Bishop stocks will really let you know what a 30/06 recoil feels like.They sure look good,but damn do you feel the pain,afterwards!

Glad to here the fall didn't kill you.

VLG 12-14-2011 01:34 AM

Thanks for the response
1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the kind response(s). Wasn't killed true, but I didn't walk away Scott free. You see, I hadn't exactly told my wife that I was going hunting that day, In fact I was supposed to be somewhere else...(Shakes head) In hindsight it might have been kinder if the bear had eaten me.

Anyway, here's a picture of the rebuilt rifle.

Txhillbilly 12-14-2011 01:44 AM

Good looking ol'Springfield sporter.

Axxe55 12-14-2011 10:49 AM

that is a nice looking rifle! i saw some of the old bishop stocks many years ago, and they were very good looking stocks. i wish i had some hindsight, as i would have bought several and held on to them.