Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Laser Bore Sight Cartridge Boresight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Laser Bore Sight Cartridge Boresight

I've never used these. Looking for opinions on their usefulness. I buy too many toys as it is just because I NEED them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #2

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

Seen this type of tread before. 1st off, what is bore sighting? Second, how is it really done? I know the answer and think it is a big waste of $$. JMHO

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have never used the caliber specific cartridge style and I wouldn't because I would require multiple units. I do own this type LaserLyte Universal Mini Laser Boresighter and find it works quite well. I frequently swap optics over a wide range of firearms. I like knowing I can be close to zero'd without going to the range or firing a round ... regardless of what distance I plan to use for my final zero. If you need to setup one rifle scope combo it could be a waste of $$

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH2FLY View Post
I have never used the caliber specific cartridge style and I wouldn't because I would require multiple units. I do own this type LaserLyte Universal Mini Laser Boresighter and find it works quite well. I frequently swap optics over a wide range of firearms. I like knowing I can be close to zero'd without going to the range or firing a round ... regardless of what distance I plan to use for my final zero. If you need to setup one rifle scope combo it could be a waste of $$
Waste of $$. How can you be close if your scope is not sighted at 100 yards?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

What I have seen they do have some advantages. First it is easy to bore sight SOME rifles without this device but some guns like lever guns must be dissasembled to bore sight. These would be far easier to sight in. But I feel the real advantage is the ability to check your firearms sighting without shooting. Where I hunt it is very easy to drop, drown, kick or a multitude of boo-boo's to your hunting rifle. Some brands of these bore sighter allow you to check your sights to determine if they have been knocked out of align. This is done by first sighting in your rifle, and once that is done, set up a target at 25 yards and insert the laser in the rifles chamber and determine where the laser points at the target. Then simply record where the laser pointed at 25 yards when the rifle is properly sighted at 100 yards. This way if you drop this rifle, simply set up a target at 25 yards and see if the laser is still pointing at the pre recorded spot on the target.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Waste of $$. How can you be close if your scope is not sighted at 100 yards?
Certainly entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it may be.
As an example of my usage; last weekend I swapped a reflex sight from my 10/22 (zero'd @ 50 yds) to my pistol. After mounting it to the pistol, using the bore sight I was able to adjust down to 7yd zero without firing a shot and at the range no further adjustment was needed ... everything went right in the center and there was no wasted time or ammo.

I also swap scopes between my .223 bolt rifle, my AR and .308. They obviously have very different ballistics so a "100 yd zero" requires different amounts of elevation and each mounting can require a bit of windage change. I can quickly make sure the POA and POI as as close as possible before I fire a shot. By knowing the balistic of my rounds I can set an approximate zero of 200 yds on the .308 using a 50yd target without firing a shot. Obviously I fine tune as needed for a particular type of shooting.
Have I saved more ammo then I spent for the tool, yes, so is it a waste ... not in my book YMMV

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 989 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

I have tried the Laser style boresighters,and they were never as close as my old reliable setup.It has barrel rods from .17 caliber all the way up to .50 caliber.The barrel rods are inserted into the boresighting graph and tightened down,then inserted into the muzzle end of the barrel.
It has never been more than 1-2 clicks off of zero at 100yrds on any of my rifles.

I use it all the time,just used it tonight,I changed the rings and scope on my Savage 93 22WMR,and on Saturday mounting rings and scope on the Savage 12 FLV 308 I just picked up.
Best $20 I ever spent!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #8

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Certainly entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it may be.
As an example of my usage; last weekend I swapped a reflex sight from my 10/22 (zero'd @ 50 yds) to my pistol. After mounting it to the pistol, using the bore sight I was able to adjust down to 7yd zero without firing a shot and at the range no further adjustment was needed ... everything went right in the center and there was no wasted time or ammo.

I also swap scopes between my .223 bolt rifle, my AR and .308. They obviously have very different ballistics so a "100 yd zero" requires different amounts of elevation and each mounting can require a bit of windage change. I can quickly make sure the POA and POI as as close as possible before I fire a shot. By knowing the balistic of my rounds I can set an approximate zero of 200 yds on the .308 using a 50yd target without firing a shot. Obviously I fine tune as needed for a particular type of shooting.
Have I saved more ammo then I spent for the tool, yes, so is it a waste ... not in my book YMMV
Interesting way of doing business. I have to admit that I have never heard of anyone routinely switching sights around. Once I put a sighting system on a gun it tends to stay there until I either upgrade it or sell it.

Anyway for me, I have found the old method of just looking down the bore and adjusting the sight works like a champ and I do that at home before I hit the range and I have never failed to be on paper at 100 yards. Don't remember the last time it took me more than 4 shots to be sighted in.

Lever actions are not an issue. On most of them it does not take more than the removal of one screw to have the bolt out of the gun and in your hand...
Pumps (other than AR variants) and semi-autos are a different animal but I don't have enough of those that need sighting in on a routine basis to keep me awake at night.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #9

I also look down the bore, hence the term bore sighting. TCH2FLY, I am well aware of ballistics. Fine tuning is needed for all types of shooting, can't think of a single competition or hunting situation that I would want to miss my mark. I have a manual bore sighter that I use when 1st installing a scope to double check level and Get it close, but it always needs tweaking. I bought a scope recently that came w/ a laser bore sighter. I find 50 yards max (target has to be in a shaded area) useless. BTW, I still do math on paper or in my head. I don't even have an adding machine on my desk at work anymore, I'm in sales. Deal w/ pounds and dollars and down to fractions of cents. Math is not that tough. Variables, lots of variables in shooting, A laser adds one more question, not an answer. A 120gr varmint bullet will act completely different then a 165gr Partition in .308. That laser does nothing.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4704

Quote:
I have never used the caliber specific cartridge style and I wouldn't because I would require multiple units. I do own this type LaserLyte Universal Mini Laser Boresighter and find it works quite well.
I have the same unit & have found it useful for getting the scope close before going to target shoot for fine tuning at given distances. I have loaned it to a couple of shooting buddies who had about the same opinion of it after using it.

Regarding the models that look like an empty cartridge, a buddy had one that was NOT impressive in the laser dot visibility department by a LOOOOOOONG stretch. It would've been easy to see at night, maybe with some NVG's.

One thing, safety-wise: If you let a buddy use the LaserLyte-type gizmo, MAKE DARN SURE to segregate its use from the area or time of live ammo fine tuning. A shooting buddy almost fired mine out of the barrel once .

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p