Lake City Match Ammo & Scope Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Lake City Match Ammo & Scope Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Lake City Match Ammo & Scope Question

Saturday morning I'm picking up ten boxes of .30-06 Lake City Match ammunition. I want to see how it does in my Eddystone. While I know that this rifle can shoot better than me, I believe I can get major improvement with the LC over the HXP surplus I've been putting through it.

I also want to put better glass on it. It currently has a 2-7 x 32 Bushnell Elite 3200 on it. I think I'd like to move up to at least a 3-9. I can shoot well at 100yds with it, but even with the scope, at 300yds. I can't get close enough with the scope. (I know I don't have the greatest vision anymore, so I could use some help)

Any suggestions for a better/more powerful scope? I'm on a tight budget and will have to save up for a bit.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 10-23-2009 at 07:11 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If a 2-7 isn't cutting it for you, I'd suggest skipping the 3-9 and going to either a 3.5-10 or a 4-12.

But for me personally, your 2-7 would be perfect.

Is it the eye relief you are having issues with? Or the magnification? Do you mean you can't get close enough to the scope, or can't get the bullets close enough to the target?

The optical clarity of the Bushnell Elites is outstanding, and great clarity will trump low quality and higher magnification.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The eye relief is pretty much fine, although another .5" to 1" closer would be better. Magnification is the real problem. The Elite that's on it is fine for me at 100yds, but out at 300yds, magnification isn't that great for me.

edited in: I'd like to be able to shoot this rifle accurately out to 500 yards if I can.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have you thought about a 6x18 or a 6x24? that might help a to get out there.

Layton

Old 10-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I hadn't thought about anything that high. Would those higher powers mess up shooting at the shorter ranges?

If you can't tell already, I really have very little experience with rifle scopes. I've always shot with iron sights. At 100yds, I can do pretty good with iron sights. Certainly lethal enough with my Garand.

But for this rifle, I'd like it to be good for 100 to maybe 500 yards or so. I want to be able to get some reach out and touch something capability. I think that at least for me, to do any more, I'd have to buy a different rifle. So, I'd like to make this one work if possible.

BTW, I'm very impressed with this rifle. Whoever sporterized it did one heck of a job. It's bedded with a floated barrel and it's sweet to shoot.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It should not be a problem, but I have a 3x9 on my 308, and it seems to be good so far for my old eyes.In fact, I hardly go down to 3x, I an usually at about 6x or 7x. The range I am a member is in process of building a 600 yard range, will probably have to go up to 9x then.

Layton

Old 10-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay, thanks. A visit to the toy store is in order. I'll try and find something that will do the job. I'm happy with the Elite, so I'll probably stay with the Bushnells or possibly a Nikon. I had a Nikon Monarch on my '06 Tikka T3 and liked it pretty well.
Right now, money is pretty tight. I know that good glass costs, but for now, I have to compromise between quality and price.

Last edited by CA357; 10-23-2009 at 07:52 AM.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:18 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm bumping this for some more feedback. Also, if someone here has a higher powered scope than I currently have, maybe we could work out some kind of trade...

Old 10-24-2009, 03:52 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Two of my rifles have the Burris Fullfield TAC30 4.5X14 and I really like them. I have two alike so that when i put one of the M1As down and pick the other up they are almost twins.
The thicker reticle cross hairs are better for me in the woods since I use them for hunting. However, some people don't like the thick dark reticle.
I have a Leupold 4X12 on an 03 and it is pretty good, but if I had bought it again I would have gone with a 30mm tube.
Just my $0.02.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:30 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks. The rifle has a Buehler mount and 1" rings, so I want to stay with a 1" tube as I really like the setup.