Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Lake City Match Ammo & Scope Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/lake-city-match-ammo-scope-question-19368/)

CA357 10-23-2009 05:05 AM

Lake City Match Ammo & Scope Question

Saturday morning I'm picking up ten boxes of .30-06 Lake City Match ammunition. I want to see how it does in my Eddystone. While I know that this rifle can shoot better than me, I believe I can get major improvement with the LC over the HXP surplus I've been putting through it.

I also want to put better glass on it. It currently has a 2-7 x 32 Bushnell Elite 3200 on it. I think I'd like to move up to at least a 3-9. I can shoot well at 100yds with it, but even with the scope, at 300yds. I can't get close enough with the scope. (I know I don't have the greatest vision anymore, so I could use some help)

Any suggestions for a better/more powerful scope? I'm on a tight budget and will have to save up for a bit.

M14sRock 10-23-2009 05:48 AM

If a 2-7 isn't cutting it for you, I'd suggest skipping the 3-9 and going to either a 3.5-10 or a 4-12.

But for me personally, your 2-7 would be perfect.

Is it the eye relief you are having issues with? Or the magnification? Do you mean you can't get close enough to the scope, or can't get the bullets close enough to the target?

The optical clarity of the Bushnell Elites is outstanding, and great clarity will trump low quality and higher magnification.

CA357 10-23-2009 05:55 AM

The eye relief is pretty much fine, although another .5" to 1" closer would be better. Magnification is the real problem. The Elite that's on it is fine for me at 100yds, but out at 300yds, magnification isn't that great for me.

edited in: I'd like to be able to shoot this rifle accurately out to 500 yards if I can.

layton 10-23-2009 06:06 AM

Have you thought about a 6x18 or a 6x24? that might help a to get out there.

Layton

CA357 10-23-2009 06:22 AM

I hadn't thought about anything that high. Would those higher powers mess up shooting at the shorter ranges?

If you can't tell already, I really have very little experience with rifle scopes. I've always shot with iron sights. At 100yds, I can do pretty good with iron sights. Certainly lethal enough with my Garand.

But for this rifle, I'd like it to be good for 100 to maybe 500 yards or so. I want to be able to get some reach out and touch something capability. I think that at least for me, to do any more, I'd have to buy a different rifle. So, I'd like to make this one work if possible.

BTW, I'm very impressed with this rifle. Whoever sporterized it did one heck of a job. It's bedded with a floated barrel and it's sweet to shoot.

layton 10-23-2009 06:31 AM

It should not be a problem, but I have a 3x9 on my 308, and it seems to be good so far for my old eyes.In fact, I hardly go down to 3x, I an usually at about 6x or 7x. The range I am a member is in process of building a 600 yard range, will probably have to go up to 9x then.

Layton

CA357 10-23-2009 06:49 AM

Okay, thanks. A visit to the toy store is in order. I'll try and find something that will do the job. I'm happy with the Elite, so I'll probably stay with the Bushnells or possibly a Nikon. I had a Nikon Monarch on my '06 Tikka T3 and liked it pretty well.
Right now, money is pretty tight. I know that good glass costs, but for now, I have to compromise between quality and price.

CA357 10-24-2009 01:18 AM

I'm bumping this for some more feedback. Also, if someone here has a higher powered scope than I currently have, maybe we could work out some kind of trade...

Silvertip 44 10-24-2009 02:52 AM

Two of my rifles have the Burris Fullfield TAC30 4.5X14 and I really like them. I have two alike so that when i put one of the M1As down and pick the other up they are almost twins.
The thicker reticle cross hairs are better for me in the woods since I use them for hunting. However, some people don't like the thick dark reticle.
I have a Leupold 4X12 on an 03 and it is pretty good, but if I had bought it again I would have gone with a 30mm tube.
Just my $0.02.

CA357 10-24-2009 03:30 AM

Thanks. The rifle has a Buehler mount and 1" rings, so I want to stay with a 1" tube as I really like the setup.