Knowledge please

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Knowledge please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Knowledge please

I am a former armourer in the british army dealing more with restoration than general cleaning one day while i was cleaning and making a fit for a new firing pin i thought of an idea which involves a Rotating bolt with firing pins that recoil while rotating similar to a gatling gun but not as many working parts in anybody elses experience what are your thoughts thankyou

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8832 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

To some degree, the American M60 machinegun uses a SIMILIAR approach. Fires from open bolt, rotating bolt lugs, etc.

What is your goal with this one- that the rotation of the bolt would cause the FP to strike the primer, and be withdrawn as bolt rotates? Could be done- issue would arise of out-of-battery firing if the timing was off.

Not certain I follow where you are going on this one- could you please expand on it a bit?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #3

Basically faster automatic fire using gas obviously the faster the fire there could be reppercutions to the gas parts not being able to cope with the speed but that could be solved purely from length of the recoil rod and how far the gas vent is away from the bolt (correct me if im wrong) im thinking purely on the terms of the sa82 a2 rifle but other rifles obviously are all different, my aim is to achieve a design which surpasses all predecessors and can cope universally within a certain TMH which is from my own design.
The bolt itself has 5 firing pins, the firing of this bolt continues as normal with the trigger, hammer, and FP when the first round passes the gas vent the recoil rod os thrown back to spin the bolt (cylinder), it can be either belt fed or mag 30 (28) or 50 (48) round magazine also from my own design to fit TMH. This design includes an anti jam/break safety feature which sounds odd but im sure it will prove to be usefull,especially in the sand and snow.
I know this may sound like a kids dream but i have put thought and effort into this and i am a qualified armourer but i wasnt lucky enough to experience a massive arsnal unfortunately funny what rifles and pistols can do with your imagination.
Thankyou very much for any feedback

Old 10-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8832 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

No matter how many firing pins, you still have one bolt, one chamber, one barrel. I am not grasping how this would increase rate of fire.

Re: distance gas port is located from bolt- within limits, no real effect on rate of fire- the bolt is moving MUCH more slowly than the bullet.

You might want to take a look at the design of the German MG42- which had a rate of fire of around 1,500 rounds per minute.

Eventually you DO hit an upper limit of possible rate of fire- the bullet MUST leave the barrel before breech unlocks- and there is a finite amount of time where the barrel is occupied by a bullet. If the breech unlocks while bullet is still traveling up the bore, the gas driving it nows comes out of the open breech.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 10-14-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5631 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

the closer you move the gas port the smaller the port has to be to prevent too much gas into the action. shorter smaller gas holes tend to clog more.

thats why they tend to be further away.

the german mg42 was capable in certain versions of 1500rpm. while fast cyclic rate SOUNDS useful for an infantry unit its just the opposite. such cyclic rates chew through ammunition so fast a machine gunner can run dry very quickly. the US M60 is based off the MG42 and is capable of similar rates of fire. the US army determined that a useful rate of fire is in the 600-800 rpm range.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #6

I really appreciate this guys knowledge is exactly what im after and who better than the pros cheers

Old 10-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #7

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If you build something, there is a very strict requirement. You have to give us some pics!