Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Knothole in gunstock - What's the significance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Knothole in gunstock - What's the significance?

Just purchased a new Howa / Legacy Sports 1500 in Win 300 Mag after doing a lot of reading about the rifle. I first seen it at a local sporting goods store back in December, but was unfamiliar with Howa and the low price suggested caution. Since then I have read nothing but glowing reviews about Howa rifle, and the company in general. Four months later I purchased one new.

So I was looking over the rifle after I returned home last night and noticed a knothole present in the wood stock. I purchased the stainless steel model with the wood stock as I personally like a wood stock over a synthetic one.

Anyway, while looking at the wood grain I noticed the knothole right near the trigger guard on the side. It doesn't feel raised or any different than the other side. It is merely a blemish in that there was a knothole in the wood in that spot when the stock was made. I'm not accustomed to finding knotholes in the wood stocks of new rifles I purchase. I would guess it slipped through quality control but at some point it had to have been noticed at the factory, especially when the finish was applied and so forth.

I am not sure if I should be displeased, concerned, or indifferent about this. Theoretically, the presence of the knothole could mean the stock is not as strong in that area, and could be prone to cracking after some use. On the other hand the knothole gives the stock some character.

Why I am asking is to find out what others might think. I could exchange the rifle. The store where I bought it is about 70 miles away.

knothole000001.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2011, 03:14 AM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

A knot is one of the hardest areas in a piece of wood. As long as the rest of the grain is unidirectional from forearm to butt you should be fine; it simply adds character IMO.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I personally do not think I would worry about this, like you I admire wooden stocks and this sort of thing is part of the beauty of the wood.
The only knot that I had in a stock that gave me any problem was in the bbl channel on my Winchester .264 WM. It was hard enough that it caused the cutter to shift and left a high spot. Drove me crazy when the rifle would shoot a really good 4 shot group and place the fifth shot 1.5 in., high and right. Took a while to find the problem,and 5 minutes to fix.
TGR

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

Old 04-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5109 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

I would definately keep it. Most wood stocks are little better than looking at black synthetic nowadays. I would love to see a pic of the gun as a whole.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I MUCH prefer a stock with some grain structure and features. That adds some beauty to your stock, IMO.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-20-2011, 03:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I would definately keep it. Most wood stocks are little better than looking at black synthetic nowadays. I would love to see a pic of the gun as a whole.
Phone camera limits resolution, sorry but here ya go...
howa1500_300wm.jpg