Kill em in their tracks - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Kill em in their tracks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 86

My 13.5 ft pound break barrel took down a raccoon from 20 yards no problem earlier this year. Fell like a sack of potatoes. Pointed pellets aren't really the best choice for hunting, in fact they're the worst.

Domed pellets seem to be the way to go. Or something similar like hollowpoints or wadcutters. Ultimately it's up to the shooter.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #12

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500to22nut View Post
I am sorry but you must be ill informed because a pellet from my gun enters and exsits a large turkey
Also ive recoverd pellet half way out of the skin on the other side of the squirrel and that was with low penetrating pellets specifically
I've also smashed concrete with some pointed hollow points (the nastiest most devastating pellet but no great penetration)

You have your answer. Why ask a question. Look at the data from Gamo, it will show what I'm saying is true. I have a bolt action air rifle in .177 that after it is cleaned and lubed cracks when shot. Hmm super sonic?? That diminishes after a few rounds. The lead pellets suck at that stage. You asked for an answer, but don't like what you hear. Good luck.
A squirrel is about 2" thick and not very dense. A racoon is 6-8" thick and very dense. I a pellet penetrates 1.5" in ballistic gel what would you say about using it on that 6" heavier target??? Just because your rifle can shoot and you are accurate does not mean your using the correct tool.

Smashing concrete blocks, seriously. Go back to playing COD.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

You have your answer. Why ask a question. Look at the data from Gamo, it will show what I'm saying is true. I have a bolt action air rifle in .177 that after it is cleaned and lubed cracks when shot. Hmm super sonic?? That diminishes after a few rounds. The lead pellets suck at that stage. You asked for an answer, but don't like what you hear. Good luck.
A squirrel is about 2" thick and not very dense. A racoon is 6-8" thick and very dense. I a pellet penetrates 1.5" in ballistic gel what would you say about using it on that 6" heavier target??? Just because your rifle can shoot and you are accurate does not mean your using the correct tool.

Smashing concrete blocks, seriously. Go back to playing COD.
Well my friend that seems rather rude.
It was a point to debate and why to go after the new guy (me)

Old 12-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 264 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Saw an episode on "American Airgunner" recently that shows two wild hogs taken down with a fifty caliber airgun. They showed and demo'ed several other calibers and airguns that were used for hunting various types/sizes of animals.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #15

Quote:
I am sorry but you must be ill informed because a pellet from my gun enters and exsits a large turkey
Also ive recoverd pellet half way out of the skin on the other side of the squirrel and that was with low penetrating pellets specifically
I've also smashed concrete with some pointed hollow points (the nastiest most devastating pellet but no great penetration)
Quote:
Well my friend that seems rather rude.
It was a point to debate and why to go after the new guy (me)
Debating or discussing is one thing. Stating info that is far fetched is another.
Telling me I am ill informed when the info comes from published data from the manufacturer is silly. Telling me I'm rude after your response, well you saw the outcome. There was no data, pictures, nothing to back up your statements.

When it comes to ballistics, they are pretty cut and dry.
These are the pellets I use. Most shots on squirrels are 10-15 yards.
This data is using a high powered air rifle. Most are in the 700fps mv to begin with.
http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=74

Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just buy a 22 it would be so much easier as you can shoot sub sonics.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 280 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I have an old Sheridan 5mm pellet rifle that has shot a variety of small game. Max velocity is approx 700 fps and the dome pellets mushroom well.

When I was young and dumb, I shot a raccoon 6 times and it died in its hole about an hour later. To this day, I regret it. My success w rabbits & squirrels caused me to completely over estimate my guns capability.

As a hunter we have a moral & ethical obligation to bring enough gun to get the job done humanely.

I have used 29 gr. low velocity 22 shorts around the house because they are quiet & don't disturb the neighbors. This is pest control, I pick my shots very carefully and shoot them in the head. Amazingly effective & accurate @ short range. X = 50 ft or under.

I have also used the 22 LR subsonic and it much more effective but significantly louder.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 12-31-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #18

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 86

I have my hunting regrets too. It's quite humbling honestly. I try to focus on that portion of it. It is good to be humble.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary
Gonzilla Likes This 
Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would think that this she be a little more hmmmm friendly
I don't need rude remarks and stuff like "go back to cod" wich by the way I have never played
You dont need to comment so why don't just unsubscribe and let it go.
Good day
@jp

Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #20

Quote:
I would think that this she be a little more hmmmm friendly
I don't need rude remarks and stuff like "go back to cod" wich by the way I have never played
You dont need to comment so why don't just unsubscribe and let it go.
Good day
@jp

You are taking this way over the top. Everything goes both ways. There are others besides myself that suggested a .22. I appologise if the "COD" remark po'ed you, but you asked for advice, then when it was given, got defensive and made outlandish claims. When you ask an opinion, you're going to get varying responses.