Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   kick (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/kick-20506/)

kzink 11-28-2009 01:04 AM

kick

well this might be a hard question but i am buying a new rifle and i want to hunt with it but its my first rifle. i want to teach my brother how to shoot on it. i started him with a 22 but now he needs to shoot something with a little more power. hes 10 and not really a big guy nor am i. so what caliber would b good to maybe hunt a deer here and there but still not scare him away from ever wanting to shoot my gun again. my friends 30-06 scares him

greenjeans 11-28-2009 01:49 AM

You will probably get a wide range of opinions, but I would look seriously at a
.243 Good range of bullets available and big enough for deer sized game. Will not beat you to death with recoil. There are other good ones out there, but I am familiar with the .243

FCross7 11-28-2009 02:32 AM

Another caliber you may wanna check out is the 7mm-08. Very similar to a .308, but from what I've heard is very soft shooting.

-Fred

hillbilly68 11-28-2009 02:54 AM

what action are you considering? bolt, auto, lever? If deer is only "once in a while" what is the primary purpose? Will narrow recommendations for you, we may think of something you havent considered. Good for you considering your brother in the decision.

kzink 11-28-2009 04:04 AM

mostly target shooting preferably bolt action but its gunna be a entry level gun for 2 plus myself becuase the gf just asked me to teach her how to shoot

FCross7 11-28-2009 04:22 AM

For the range, teaching, target shooting, something in a .223 would be nice because of it's low cost compared to a lot of other stuff, plus it doesn't kick bad so your brother and girlfriend won't create a bad habit of flinching. Only problem with it is that it won't be so good for hunting, but from the sounds of it your not too sure about whether you'll be hunting or not. If I was you, the .223 would be my choice over something like a .243, .308 or the 7mm-08 that I mentioned earlier due mostly to price.

-Fred

kzink 11-28-2009 04:47 AM

well it will be used to hunt to decide what i enjoy more between hunting ground animals or air animals so i will for sure hunt with it but not like a every week thing

User Name 11-28-2009 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzink (Post 191437)
well it will be used to hunt to decide what i enjoy more between hunting ground animals or air animals so i will for sure hunt with it but not like a every week thing

DO NOT hunt anything that flys with a rifle. Use a shotgun. For MANY reasons. If you are looking at a rifle, it will be ground animals and targets for sure. I think a shotgun would MUCH better fit your needs. You can hunt air game, ground game and anything you want with a shotty. It has many different types of ammo for them for different needs. For a 12 guage you can go from not much kick at all (birdshot) to a whole lot of kick (Buck or slug). A shotgun is the best "do everything gun".

kzink 11-28-2009 05:24 AM

yes if i was using the rifle but i use my 870 for that. so im looking at the .243 and the 7mm-08