Kentucky deer rifle...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Kentucky deer rifle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 02:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kentucky deer rifle...

I am new to the forum but you all seem very knowledgeable I am an avid bow hunter for deer. I love it but I have been looking to get a good deer rifle. I have a pistol I would like to trade so Im looking for a rifle around 700-800$. I know the usual remington 700, winchester, savage, they are all good . I guess I just want to know...

What is your favorite deer rifle/calibre/scope combo?

p.s.-I have owned a r700 VTR and a Marlin 30-30 and I loved them both.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well my caliber i use is 30-06, just for the stoping power and the power and extended ranges. It depends where you are hunting for a scope, you dont need a 25x power scope if you are hunting in the woods you know?

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"

Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For a good allround deer rifle it's going to be almost impossible to beat a good 7mm08 or .308. I live in Ky too so I know we have all types of terrain from thick brush to wide open fields. Those 2 cartridges I mentioned will handle every shot you'll likely encounter. To my way of thinking, if it's too far to shoot at with a 7mm08, it's too far to even think about shooting at. My personal favorite is the 7mm08 but .308 ammo is easier to come by. Even Wal-Marts in my area have 7mm08 ammo.

As to the particular rifle it's going to have to be your decision on which 1 fits YOU best. Personally I love the Browning A-bolt/X-bolt. Go to a well stocked gun shop and shoulder the different models and see which feels best to you. Also consider the controls on the rifle such as safety, bolt handle, and magazine release.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #4

Ya I know what you guys are saying. I would really like a brush gun because that would be perfect for the kind of places I am now but I want something that if I happen to travel out west to hunt, or really need to reach out and touch something I want to be able to do that. So the rifle I get really just depends on the capabilities I want. I will just have to think about it.

A lever action browning 308 caught my attention but I know very little about it? I also saw a couple cool browning a-bolts. And I have no experience with Sako rifles?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #5

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

The Browning BLR is a great rifle. I have one in .308 that is light, fast and accurate. I topped mine w/ a Sightron SI 3-9x40mm. The downside is the mags are expensive at $50.00 each. I bought an extra because you never know.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:08 AM   #6

Quote:
The Browning BLR is a great rifle. I have one in .308 that is light, fast and accurate. I topped mine w/ a Sightron SI 3-9x40mm. The downside is the mags are expensive at $50.00 each. I bought an extra because you never know.
Thanks I will look into it further.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:34 AM   #7

I live out west and we have all kinds of terrain, from open fields to heavy cover in the forests. I have a Browning A-Bolt .30-06 that gets the job done in the open fields and semi wooded areas. For thick cover my Marlin .30-30 is perfect.
You can readily find ammo in these calibers anywhere you find yourself in the USA (and perhaps the world).

You might want to check out the prices of ammo in various calibers before selecting a rifle. Some ammo for some calibers is priced sky high while for other calibers the ammo is reasonably priced. Go to Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter and take a look for yourself.

Ammo price should not be your only consideration when buying a rifle. I never go with magnums in any caliber. That is just me though. I find smaller calibers get the job done very nicely. My suggestions in calibers are: .243, .257, 7mm-08, .30-30, .270, .30-06 None of these are magnums and they all get the job done well.

Father is Boss as everyone knows,
but what Mother says always goes.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

A lot would depend on where in Ky you are hunnting in. If you are out weat where it's a lot more flat and you can get the 200 + shot then you will want to make sure you get a rifle that will reach out there. Where I am (S. Central Ky) getting a 200 yard shot will most likely never happen because there's a lot of hills around here. Get east of me then it's going to get really hilly. So a lot depends where in Ky you are hunting in.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson