Kel Tec PLR 16, best PDW? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Kel Tec PLR 16, best PDW?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1322 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 636

JD,You'd be suprised by how accurate these guns are.With match grade ammo,I can hold a 2in group at 50yrd,and around 4in at 100.
Dead guy all day long in my book!
Hell,Even shooting Wolf 62gr HP,I can dump a beta mag and have 95 percent of the rounds on a pie plate at 50 yards.Recoil isn't a factor with this gun.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have one and it is very accuate at distances beyound normal hand gun range. Also it is a gas piston gun and mine has always funtioned well plus it uses AR mags. I never thought that it had much recoil.

On road trips I carry mine next to me on the seat of my pickup with a small towel over it (CCW)

For self defense the muzzle vol. of 55 gr fmjs is just at the low side of fragmenting. I would look at a heaver expanding (not varmit) bullet say 60 to 70 grains. It should stablize a 70 gr bullet and have a volicity of close to 2,500 fps. that actually could be a formatable load

Old 07-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #13

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory8395 View Post
The Kel Tec plr 16 is a nice little "pistol" chambered in 5.56x45 (.223). Its design is similar to the AK, M-14, and M1 Garand, making it incredibly reliable. Simply due to the size, price, accessories, and potential capabilities the Kel Tec plr 16 is one great PDW (Personal Defense Weapon). However, it is sporting the 5.56x45 (.223), witch is one extremely criticized round, people love it or hate it, I hate it. Caliber conversion kits are cheap (depending where you get them) so upgrade it to a 6.8 spc (or any other round you would prefer). Thanks for reading, I hope this post helped.
This gun is similar to the AK, M-14 and M1 in the same way that a Honda Civic, a Hummer and a Ferrari are all cars. It is a neat gun that could be a decent self defense weapon if the user spends a lot of time learning to handle it proficiently but most folks won't and there are a LOT of IMO better choices out there for most SD scenarios.

Very curious, why do you hate the .223? It's cheap to buy or reload, inherently accurate and does it's job rather well when one picks the correct bullet/ammo and platform for the task at hand.

I totally fail to see the benefit of a 6.8 upgrade for any purpose this gun is designed for.

And on your second post, if you put a stock and/or a vertical grip on this puppy you'll be having some VERY serious conversations with the ATF boys who have NO sense of humor for folks that don't do their homework.

Last edited by Wambli; 07-10-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Newest Threads