Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Kel Tec PLR 16, best PDW?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kel Tec PLR 16, best PDW?

The Kel Tec plr 16 is a nice little "pistol" chambered in 5.56x45 (.223). Its design is similar to the AK, M-14, and M1 Garand, making it incredibly reliable. Simply due to the size, price, accessories, and potential capabilities the Kel Tec plr 16 is one great PDW (Personal Defense Weapon). However, it is sporting the 5.56x45 (.223), witch is one extremely criticized round, people love it or hate it, I hate it. Caliber conversion kits are cheap (depending where you get them) so upgrade it to a 6.8 spc (or any other round you would prefer). Thanks for reading, I hope this post helped.

kel_plr_wacc.jpg  

Anyone feeling generous?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

It could be super-fun, but a personal defense weapon? IDK 'bout that! And to upgrade a Keltec to 6.8 seems like pure financial folly in my opinion. No stock on a weapon firing 6.8 SPC? Not my idea of fun...nor of accuracy.

Interesting way to say hello to the community. How about you pop on over to the introductions thread and tell us about yourself? Welcome.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-19-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory8395 View Post
The Kel Tec plr 16 is a nice little "pistol" chambered in 5.56x45 (.223). Its design is similar to the AK, M-14, and M1 Garand, making it incredibly reliable. Simply due to the size, price, accessories, and potential capabilities the Kel Tec plr 16 is one great PDW (Personal Defense Weapon). However, it is sporting the 5.56x45 (.223), witch is one extremely criticized round, people love it or hate it, I hate it. Caliber conversion kits are cheap (depending where you get them) so upgrade it to a 6.8 spc (or any other round you would prefer). Thanks for reading, I hope this post helped.
Cory,I have owned a PLR-16 since they were put on the market.It is a fun gun to shoot,but to say it would make a Personal Defense Weapon is a big stretch.This is probably the loudest weapon that you could fire.Unless you are wearing very good hearing protection,you WILL damage your hearing the very first round that is fired.I wear plugs and muffs when I fire this gun,it is just that loud.

And unless you know something I don't,there are no caliber conversions available for the PLR-16.You can either get it in 223 or 223,take your pick.
Although,Kel Tec does make it in 22LR,the PLR-22.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I would have to say there are better choices out there like a Draco, AR pistol or a Serbu super shorty then wasting cash upgrading a Kel Tec.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:11 AM   #5

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Looks like a troll to me.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:26 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Looks like a troll to me.
One post. E-mail and IP are clean. *shrug* Might just be someone who likes the platform and is trying to foster opinions.

Personally I think the idea of a "pistol" shooting 5.56 or 6.8 SPC as a hidden, concealable, PDW a sincere stretch. That is a rifle round for a reason.

Try explaining THAT to the local PD after you let loose with 27 rounds of small caliber, fast moving projectiles at close range, more than half missing your target because of the recoil.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:32 AM   #7

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
One post. E-mail and IP are clean. *shrug* Might just be someone who likes the platform and is trying to foster opinions.

Personally I think the idea of a "pistol" shooting 5.56 or 6.8 SPC as a hidden, concealable, PDW a sincere stretch. That is a rifle round for a reason.

Try explaining THAT to the local PD after you let loose with 27 rounds of small caliber, fast moving projectiles at close range, more than half missing your target because of the recoil.
Where I'm from only two types would carry a 5.56 or 7.62 pistol. One group is Italian, the other Russian. Let it run, bet it is a troll. They never asked for an opinion.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Where I'm from only two types would carry a 5.56 or 7.62 pistol. One group is Italian, the other Russian. Let it run, bet it is a troll.
I'm not disagreeing, I am just saying the e-mail and IP are clean, so it's not one of the usual trolls.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #9

A troll is? And if you read the original post by me, there are lots of different accessories you can add, like a stock, and fore grip for more accuracy. The pic is just one of many custom options. and for a PDW you don't need the range of a normal rifle (hence the name PDW).

Anyone feeling generous?

Last edited by Cory8395; 06-19-2011 at 02:46 AM.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory8395 View Post
there are lots of differnt accessories you can add, like a stock
Actually no, you can't. Not without a tax stamp for an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) because that would violate Federal Law. Something the members here, on FTF, take very seriously when it comes to information being posted.