Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > K98 shooting a foot high

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Default K98 shooting a foot high

Went to the range and shot up some yugo 8mm ammo at 100 yards and it was at least 10 inches high. Does anyone have a remedy?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #2

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Shoot it at 200 yds

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 05-17-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Really about the only thing you can do is look for a taller front sight blade. But you may want to try different ammo first and see how it is going to shoot with that.

The rifles were usually going to hit a bit high at 100 yds. Was your sight picture a center hold on the bulls eye or a six o'clock hold?

Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2646 Times on 1541 Posts
Likes Given: 1174

Make sure the rear sight is at the lowest setting.

More than once I have found that the rear sight was moved by others who wanted to "see" my rifle.

(I wonder if it is pay back for the times I've messed with their sights.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Sight was set at 100 yards so that wasnt the problem. My yugo mauser shoots dead on with the same ammo. Should i try commercial ammo with the 98k?

Old 05-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #6

Hold a little lower.
ct

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #7

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Try a 6 o'clock hold. The Germans figured out pretty quick that the average soldier does no care the distance. That rifle is minute of man to 300 yards without touching the sight. Center mass sight picture.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2196 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

You need for the front sight post to be taller. You can add additional height to it by using silver solder and then filing it down gently until you achieve the correct height and contour. Then use cold bluing or other painted flat finish on it to get the correct coloration. We use to do the same thing with the ARs if the company put the wrong front sight housing on it. But today you can buy the inserts that are taller. But to my knowledge nothing for the Mousers.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #9

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
You need for the front sight post to be taller. You can add additional height to it by using silver solder and then filing it down gently until you achieve the correct height and contour. Then use cold bluing or other painted flat finish on it to get the correct coloration. We use to do the same thing with the ARs if the company put the wrong front sight housing on it. But today you can buy the inserts that are taller. But to my knowledge nothing for the Mousers.

There is a simple solution. The Swede M96 has a similar dovetail. You may have to file the angle, but you should not have to. You could get a +3.5 Swede '96 front blade and give it a try. I've used these before w/ excellent results. Always drift the front sight from right side to left. If you shoot low, take a little off at a time and cold blue when it is good.
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=42

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Sniper03 Likes This