Just got

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Just got

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Just got

Me a new weatherby vanguard series2 bolt action rifle in 308, I just got home with it and was wondering if anyone has one and are they pretty good rifles and what scope should I mount on it? It is a 24 inch barrel.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Gratz. Yes the Vanguard are good. Comparable to others in it's price range.

If it were me I'd either mount a Nikon Monarch or Bushnell Elite 4200 in the power range that will fit best with the distances you'll be shooting most.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #3

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntyrant
Me a new weatherby vanguard series2 bolt action rifle in 308, I just got home with it and was wondering if anyone has one and are they pretty good rifles and what scope should I mount on it? It is a 24 inch barrel.
When it comes to optics u get what u pay for plain an simple. Figure out your budget, go to the local gun shops look at as many diferent scopes as u can, find the one u like the best, that is right for the job at hand,wether its hunting or target an get the best one u can afford. No one can say whats best for u but u period, we can only make suggestions. Here are some I would recomend you look at. Leupold, nikkon, vortex, ziess, swarovski, even the bushnell elite are worth checkin out

Old 11-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7 on my deer rifle and it has worked like a champ. It is made in Leupold's Oregon factory.

Let us know how the Series 2 shoots. I am considering trading in my Remington Model Seven after deer season and getting one in 308 or 7MM-08.

Oh, and where are the pics?

Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #5

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 755

You bought a Howa! Good choice. Get a good quality scope, the best you can afford and your set. The original used M700 bases and rings. If it still does, get Weaver heavy bases and Warne rings. You'll never have an issue.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1302 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 2721

Default Great Gun

It will be a great gun, congrats.

For the scope, figure out what yardages you're going to be shooting. A standard 3x9x40 is tough to beat, but you'll want more magnification if you're going to be shooting over 200yds. I would recommend a 4.5x14 or 4x16 for that gun. I don't think the brand is nearly as important as getting the right magnification (that's assuming a standard quality brand).