Just for fun- heavy target 30/06 rifle

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Just for fun- heavy target 30/06 rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Just for fun- heavy target 30/06 rifle

If I had the extra cash, I'd like to take a Howa action, put on the heaviest match 30/06 target barrel, trigger, heavy bench stock, and a good recoil absorption system and start using all the '06 brass I've got sitting around. It would be used for long range shooting.

The tube gun sounds great but looks terrible.

I think it would hold it's own with most other calibers. Might take a 210 grain bullet to do it. Just dreaming, but maybe someday.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_50 View Post
If I had the extra cash, I'd like to take a Howa action, put on the heaviest match 30/06 target barrel, trigger, heavy bench stock, and a good recoil absorption system and start using all the '06 brass I've got sitting around. It would be used for long range shooting.

The tube gun sounds great but looks terrible.

I think it would hold it's own with most other calibers. Might take a 210 grain bullet to do it. Just dreaming, but maybe someday.
Actually with the right barrel length the 30-06 would be a real contender for LR shooting using good match bullets with a good BC. I think it would be a fun project. The reason most folks don't do the 30-06 is because if you are doing a long action why not go to the WinMag and gain even more in preformance.