just curious as to the value of my new rifle
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > just curious as to the value of my new rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default just curious as to the value of my new rifle

just picked up a 1916 spanish mauser model 98.. was wondering if any one knew the value of it... you'd never guess what i paid for it...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Value wise it'll depend on the condition of the rifle and whether or not it's been converted from 7x57mm to 7.62x51mm (.308). I'm going to take a stab in the dark that you paid between $150-$200.

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #3

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Need condition, markings, matching numbers?
Firearms is about right on adverage

Old 11-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

1916 Spanish Mausers started out as Model 93 Mauser designs, some made in Germany and some made in Spain. The old 93's were later re-arsenaled and converted to the newer 1916 configuration in Oviedo, Spain.

The original caliber was 7mm X 57mm. Many were converted to .308 caliber, but not .308 Winchester. The 7.62 NATO round has a better chamber pressure that will work better in the converted 7mm 1916 Mausers.

I have a 7mm 1916 Spanish Mauser that I bought from the Wards catalog in 1967 for less than $20. I think in their original condition without being Bubba'd (sporterized) and with matching numbers they go for about $200.

Here's mine:
mauser01.jpg  

Last edited by Snakedriver; 11-11-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:16 AM   #5

Beautiful rifle excelent condition! I have a old 1893 spanish mauser 7mmx57mm poor thing is a wall hanger barrel shot out my dad took a bolt out to put on his m98 8mm mauser so the floor plate hangs down as in disgrace that it isnt getting takin out to hunt. for the $175 my uncle paid and was think mm Pat could use a first deer rifle but nope first shot took off left missing the bbq pit and i got pissed knowing the pitting on the barrel and the ammonia smell plus the year 1893 ruined the rifle so it got threwn in a closet till i recently wanted to rebarrel it to .458 win mag for random critters

Old 11-14-2011, 03:46 AM   #6

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickHarrison
Beautiful rifle excelent condition! I have a old 1893 spanish mauser 7mmx57mm poor thing is a wall hanger barrel shot out my dad took a bolt out to put on his m98 8mm mauser so the floor plate hangs down as in disgrace that it isnt getting takin out to hunt. for the $175 my uncle paid and was think mm Pat could use a first deer rifle but nope first shot took off left missing the bbq pit and i got pissed knowing the pitting on the barrel and the ammonia smell plus the year 1893 ruined the rifle so it got threwn in a closet till i recently wanted to rebarrel it to .458 win mag for random critters
Have u ever priced ammo for a 458 win mag let alone shoot one. I have hunted in africa 4 out of last 5 yrs I use a 458 win mag. Get real random critters haaaaaaaaaaa. My ruger number 1 in 458 beats yer ass every time u pull the trigger, my neck hurts for a week aftet just a short 10 round zero check, so random critters I think not. Hope u have very large random critters in texas, not the neighbors dog u talk about.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #7

Bahaha mulie masters back again with neighbors dog subject haha (btw they got away). Id like somethin different not a random o there you see every where cartridge/rifle naw im brakein away from that n ive liked safari since i was young ive liked theodore roosevelt and his global adventures and the round that was and is used in the land he was in would make me proud plus others like col craig boddington used this round so yes id like the .458 winchester magnum to pack a wollop from barrel to butt stock would be awesome n seperate men from boys of course its exspensive factory ammo thatd id eventialy reload for, but itd make a fine safari affordable rifle from a old mauser even tho id probly never get to go on safari the last great adventure!! yes random critters like the midnight skunk or raidin raccoon or damaging hog or possibly a white tail deer haha i think to far out and im known to change somethin thats perfect for the hell of it even if the outcome was eminet trash.…

Old 11-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3270 Times on 1690 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickHarrison View Post
The 93 Mauser is not suitable for the .458 Win Mag. The 93 is a small ring action and will not hold up to the punishment of the big Magnum. IMHO the 93 action is not suitable for the .308 Win. The 7.62 NATO is a higher pressure round than the original 7 X 57.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickHarrison
Bahaha mulie masters back again with neighbors dog subject haha (btw they got away). Id like somethin different not a random o there you see every where cartridge/rifle naw im brakein away from that n ive liked safari since i was young ive liked theodore roosevelt and his global adventures and the round that was and is used in the land he was in would make me proud plus others like col craig boddington used this round so yes id like the .458 winchester magnum to pack a wollop from barrel to butt stock would be awesome n seperate men from boys of course its exspensive factory ammo thatd id eventialy reload for, but itd make a fine safari affordable rifle from a old mauser even tho id probly never get to go on safari the last great adventure!! yes random critters like the midnight skunk or raidin raccoon or damaging hog or possibly a white tail deer haha i think to far out and im known to change somethin thats perfect for the hell of it even if the outcome was eminet trash.…
Yer a nut pal, true to the meaning . Mo way an hell would I want to use my 458 other than on safari, the ph in africa freak If u show up with a muzzle break on a big bore for most areas its illeagle to have a break in africa so everytime I pull that trigger im reminded that that rifle is not my friend. When I got home in september from botswana africa my shoulder was bruised for about a month. When u get it done tho let me be there when u fire that first shot, I love to see peoples reaction when their shoulder hits the dirt from that nasty lil bugger

Old 11-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #10

Haha thanks i figure nuts a decent word for me lol i geuss ur weak to let a .458 win mag bruise you jk friend! Cant be worse than a double barrel 12 guage let loose both barrels at same time?? Uh huh the 93 to small for a brute round ill look into it