Just bought a savage axis xp
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Just bought a savage axis xp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hey everyone new to the forum. Just Bought a savage axis xp .243win. It's my first gun. Want to know if anyone has shot it. Any pros or cons. Does anyone think it's a good rifle for a first time hunter? Thanks for anyone that can reply.

Last edited by PalmBeachF150; 06-21-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

I have a savage axis in .223. In my opinion it is an excellent rifle for hunting. It is very accurate for the price. I get sub Moa groups with it all day long the only thing that is absolutely terrible on it is the trigger. Mine is a 7.5 pound trigger pull.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #3

Awesome thanks for the reply. I was reading and it says it has a 5lb trigger. Is the gun easy to clean. And how much is the recoil can't test it till next week. 5 day waiting period.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBeachF150
Awesome thanks for the reply. I was reading and it says it has a 5lb trigger. Is the gun easy to clean. And how much is the recoil can't test it till next week. 5 day waiting period.
That sucks that you have a waiting period. The gun is extremely easy to clean. I've shot my friends .243 savage and the recoil is very minimal, you won't have to worry about scope eye!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #5

I'm new to this but I'm guessing scope eye is when it has a strong recoil and gets you in the face? Haha if it is I bet it sucks. Yea I want my first gun something I can clean and take care of easy. I don't have my concealed permit yet so have to wait, which sucks.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Timney has a replacement trigger that suppossedly is much, much better.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/138213/timney-trigger-savage-edge-axis-steel-black

I was thinking about getting the .223 model & putting a 300 BLK barrel & the Timney trigger in it.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Most savage models in general are very reputable in the sense of accuracy, handling, and reliability. I owned a 223 savage rifle. That is what i learnt to hunt and shoot on. Perfect rifle!

(off topic, but if this is your first gun, I just think you should've invested in a 22lr...you can learn the very basics first before getting into full on hunting and shooting just my .02)

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTiger
Timney has a replacement trigger that suppossedly is much, much better.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/138213/timney-trigger-savage-edge-axis-steel-black

I was thinking about getting the .223 model & putting a 300 BLK barrel & the Timney trigger in it.
Going to try out the trigger on it when I get it and see how I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94browninghunt
Most savage models in general are very reputable in the sense of accuracy, handling, and reliability. I owned a 223 savage rifle. That is what i learnt to hunt and shoot on. Perfect rifle!

(off topic, but if this is your first gun, I just think you should've invested in a 22lr...you can learn the very basics first before getting into full on hunting and shooting just my .02)
I actually was going to get a .22lr first but I was told to just start off with a bigger gun, why I'm not sure does make since to start small especially since I'm a beginner. . I've shot my buddies marlin .22, and couple other hand guns, so at least I've shot something haha. I might buy my bosses Remington .22 if he sells it to me cheap.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #9

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

What does a cc permit have to do with a Savage Axis? CC is for handguns only, How do you carry your Axis consealed?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #10

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094
What does a cc permit have to do with a Savage Axis? CC is for handguns only, How do you carry your Axis consealed?
Maybe referring to a waiting period after purchase?

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.