Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   John Browning or Eugene Stoner? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/john-browning-eugene-stoner-66166/)

Big-Nasty 06-10-2012 06:18 AM

John Browning or Eugene Stoner?

Which firearms designer do you believe played the biggest role and had the biggest impact on American history based only on the firearms they designed that were used by our troops in wars, John Browning or Eugene Stoner?

pagj17 06-10-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Nasty
Which firearms designer do you believe played the biggest role and had the biggest impact on American history based only on the firearms they designed that were used by our troops in wars, John Browning or Eugene Stoner?

Browning for sure. While Stoner made some innovative designs, browning made designs both innovative and oractical. Look at the browning 1919, Ma deuce, and 1911, just for starters.

Axxe55 06-10-2012 06:24 AM

as talented as Stoner was and though he was the principal designer behind the AR, i would still have to go with John Browning. simply for the number of firearms and cartridges he designed that were used by the military.

VitSports6 06-10-2012 06:41 AM

Browning, No question.

From the JMB museum.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7040/6...d72245a4_b.jpg

I have others

Muliemaster 06-10-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagj17

Browning for sure. While Stoner made some innovative designs, browning made designs both innovative and oractical. Look at the browning 1919, Ma deuce, and 1911, just for starters.

Ahhhh the sweet sound of rapid love the Ma Deuce

TLuker 06-10-2012 12:54 PM

Stoner was responsible for the AR but I don't think the AR has played any significant role in history. It may have been invaluable to the men and women that carried an AR during service, but from a historical standpoint I wouldn't describe any of those battles as significant.

Browning's designs played a significant role in WWI and WWII. I don't think any war is more historically significant than WWII?

In terms of historical significance there is no comparison.:)

Gatoragn 06-10-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagj17 (Post 831155)

+1 - Don't overlook the shotguns that were the result of Browning's innovations.

trip286 06-10-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLuker
Stoner was responsible for the AR but I don't think the AR has played any significant role in history. It may have been invaluable to the men and women that carried an AR during service, but from a historical standpoint I wouldn't describe any of those battles as significant.

Browning's designs played a significant role in WWI and WWII. I don't think any war is more historically significant than WWII?

In terms of historical significance there is no comparison.:)

I agree to an extent, it's the AR not being in any historically significant battles that I don't agree with. Siege of khe sahn, Tet offensive, and fallujah just to start with. Yeah, Fallujah was not the battle of the bulge, or the frozen chosin, but they were VERY significant.

That being said, I agree that Browning's designs have been MORE historically significant, and I believe he was the more influential designer.

Overkill0084 06-10-2012 02:16 PM

JMB. Not to take away from the Stoner designs, but JMB designed so many different firearms that were & are still successful.

HockaLouis 06-10-2012 02:28 PM

The clear answer has to be John Browning. OMG, he designed, gave AWAY, and had manufactured just OVERSEAS more important, original, arms designs and production (not to mention just what he continues to influence) than Stoner ever imagined here.