I've got a bone to pick with you guys.. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > I've got a bone to pick with you guys..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 01:34 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
It probably is, the majority of meat that the pro shooters harvest is exported overseas.. I think a fair bit goes to Europe but some also definitely makes its way to the US.
As far as I'm concerned they are good for one thing....soccer shoes. There is not a leather on the planet that makes a better pair of soccer shoes then kangaroo.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-15-2010, 01:42 AM   #22

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I don't mind a little game flavor but too much just doesn't work for me. How much does one of those big rats weigh?
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned they are good for one thing....soccer shoes. There is not a leather on the planet that makes a better pair of soccer shoes then kangaroo.
A large buck would probably hit 220 pounds, and can grow up to 8 feet tall. The majority would be smaller though, and most of the mature males (bucks) and females (does) in a mob would weigh 130-150 pounds and be 5-6 feet tall. Best option for a clean kill is a frontal or side shot to the brain or a single shot about an inch above where the front paws join the body. Roos are soft skinned and their upright stance gives easy access to the vitals.

The leather is absolutely beautiful, I do quite a bit of plaiting and it's the only hide I use.

Last edited by AusLach; 11-15-2010 at 03:51 AM. Reason: typing too fast

Old 11-15-2010, 01:55 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Is there a season on them or is it open? Can I ship my AR down there and play Carlos Hathcock for a week?

Old 11-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #24

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Is there a season on them or is it open? Can I ship my AR down there and play Carlos Hathcock for a week?
No season, they are however illegal to hunt unless you pass a course to become a professional shooter or the property owner applies to the government to get tags due to crop damage. I am fortunate in that the place we are going to next month is a 180,000 acre wheat farm, has been allocated 1000 tags and we get the first opportunity to fill them!

No AR's allowed down here for us normal people, only the professional hunters I mentioned before are eligible for 'Cat D' licences and ownership of semi-auto centrefires. The cost is normally prohibitive though.
untitled.jpg

Most property owners and hunters (me included) only have 'AB' licences, which gives us access to air rifles, bolt or lever action rimfire rifles, shotguns (only break-actions) and RF/shotgun combo's; and bolt or lever action centrefire rifles and CF/shotgun combo's.

Last edited by AusLach; 11-15-2010 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Clearing up the action types allowed

Old 11-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #25

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 826

Man that is expensive!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #26

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Not to get too far off center, but the wife found a small pouch at a yard sale that says,"Aussie Kangaroo Pouch". I use it to keep extra .22 rounds in. The lack of any seams however,leads me to believe it came from a male. As for the gun, that isn't really that much more then what we pay here, for a good AR type rifle. Really, close to the same. I spent $1,200.00 for mine,with out some of the stuff the Remington has on it.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Last edited by HKSlinger; 11-15-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSlinger View Post
Not to get too far off center, but the wife found a small pouch at a yard sale that says,"Aussie Kangaroo Pouch". I use it to keep extra .22 rounds in. The lack of any seams however,leads me to believe it came from a male. As for the gun, that isn't really that much more then what we pay here, for a good AR type rifle. Really, close to the same. I spent $1,200.00 for mine,with out some of the stuff the Remington has on it.
I think you are missing one of the zeroes in the price in his pic. That's outrageous!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #28

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Ya know, now that I've had time to think about it,that's kinda high.

"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".

Old 11-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Good Lord, man!!! I built my AR, optics and all for less that 5% of that price!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #30

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Oh ya,the sight was another $865.00. I got a deal on it. Hey,I don't mind paying for what I want,I just want what I pay for. And,I did.