Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   It's Finally Finished-I Think! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/its-finally-finished-i-think-11606/)

Txhillbilly 03-06-2009 06:03 PM

It's Finally Finished-I Think!

3 Attachment(s)
I bought a Savage 110FLP in 300 WinMag last year for a song. Finding one in 300WM is hard enough,but a lefty is almost impossible. Anyway it only had a box of ammo shot out of it. The man I got it from had bought it for his son(A U.S.Marine) not knowing that his son wanted a 308,and after his son came home on leave and shot it,he didn't like the recoil of the 300WM and asked his dad to sell it. It was box stock with a cheap Bushnell scope on it when I bought it.I shot it several times but the scope was crap,and the stock would punish you every shot.What rocket scientist engineer thinks up these cheap,unstable,bendable stocks.
Here are the changes I made-
Choate Ultimate Varmiter Stock
Trigger Job
Weaver Bases
Mueller Eraticator 8x25x50 Scope
Burris Signature Zee Rings
6"-9" Bipod

I hope I can get to the range next week and try it out and see some major improvements.I've worked up a bunch of different loads to try out and see just what it likes.
Now the scope looks like it is setting on the barrel,but there is about a 1/16" clearance between them,it is just the angle of the photo.

Dillinger 03-06-2009 06:12 PM

I didn't know you were a SouthPaw there Tx - That's a good looking stick. Is that a full 26" barrel? That stock makes it look a bit shorter. 300WM is a fast, flat shooting SOB. You should be dropping rounds in the "X" ring with no problems.

Well done sir, well done...

Now, WHERE'S MY RANGE REPORT?!?!?

JD

Txhillbilly 03-06-2009 06:55 PM

J.D.,I'm not a true Southpaw,it's the eye dominant thing. Most of my bolt guns are righties,but when I find a lefty for a good price I'll grab it. I like the 300WM,and also have one in a Ruger #1 that I elk hunt with,but it has a brake on it,so recoils not an issue.
I've worked up several loads to try out with 165&180gr hunting loads,and 168gr match loads.I'll just find out what it is going to like the best and go from there,but as you know these guns are shooters.

notdku 03-06-2009 08:41 PM

Nice! Can't wait to read the range report. How much you have into it?

skullcrusher 03-06-2009 09:21 PM

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. :D

dnthmn2004 03-06-2009 09:34 PM

That is a very nice rifle. What is your intended use for it? Hunting or just target?

You could take some zombies down from quite a distance with that.

Txhillbilly 03-06-2009 11:32 PM

Thanks guys,I guess I have about a $1k in it,and I do intend on hunting with it,but I did fill the stock with shot,so she ain't lite.So I doubt I would like carrying it very far,but it can loose about 3lbs by taking loose 4 screws.That's what I like about the Choate stock.

skullcrusher 03-07-2009 12:53 AM

I'd like to see a range report as well. Pick of the targets, distance, load, etc. Post it in the "Range Report" area. :D

Gene L 03-07-2009 01:28 AM

I had one of those stocks on a Savage, back before Choatehad one specifically fitted for a Savage. They used a Rem 700 pattern, and the tang wouldn't quite set down flush at the rear. . It was called a "Plaster Ultimate Sniper" stock, or something like that. It looks similar except for the color.

It was a good stock, stable and helped the rifle shoot (also in .300 WM.) I finally sold it because I couldn't get down on the cheek weld because my face isn't shaped for that.

The 110 shot 1/2" groups occasionally and 3/4" groups fairly regularly if I did my job. And with a Tasco World Class (Japan made) scope. I had a J-B recoil eliminator that did, indeed, knock down recoil but split the ears of everyone in the neighborhood.

Very good rifle, very good round, and a great stock if you can get down on it.