Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Internal Magazines (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/internal-magazines-52985/)

fatmidgets 12-04-2011 05:03 PM

Internal Magazines

Is anyone a fan of internal magazines? I JUST bought a Remington Model 700 ADL in .223 with an internal magazine. I haven't been able to shoot it yet, but I noticed the bolt would catch a little on the metal of the mag if you tries to cycle it at a certain angle. So I somewhat broke it in by loading bullets and cycling them out. The gun holds 5 rounds, so I repeated this process about 10 times and the first couple of loads I had some ftf problems. Has anyone else had this problem?

fatmidgets 12-04-2011 05:08 PM

Sorry, failure to feed, not failure to fire.

JonM 12-04-2011 05:28 PM

i like the 700 action but remington's internal magazine design really suck. winchester has a really well designed internal magazine on their model 70. i also like the internal mag design of the old springfield 1903's.

the problem i have with the remington is it allows the case on a 308/30-06/270 sized round to jam up under the reciever rail and side of the magazine. its why i finally got frustrated with it and got rid of my 700.

Jeepergeo 12-04-2011 06:14 PM

I don't care for the blind internal magazine on the Remington 700 ADL at all, and only slightly prefer the hinged floor plate on the Remington 700 BDL and CDL. My preference is for a removable box magazine. There are a few mod kits available for the BDL and CDL to replace the hinge with a box mag...I have not modified mine because it's floor plate is decorative and looks nice...it's just not that functional. I am not aware of any simple mod kits for the ADL.

With the hinged floor plate, unloading is easy...just push a button and the floor plate swings out and the ammo drops. You only cycle the bolt for the round in the chamber. The problem is getting the floor plate closed due to the spring...it is hard to do with gloves on.

You might want to run a couple of boxes through yours and see if it improves in its ability to feed.

fatmidgets 12-04-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
i like the 700 action but remington's internal magazine design really suck. winchester has a really well designed internal magazine on their model 70. i also like the internal mag design of the old springfield 1903's.

the problem i have with the remington is it allows the case on a 308/30-06/270 sized round to jam up under the reciever rail and side of the magazine. its why i finally got frustrated with it and got rid of my 700.

I suppose I do have an easier time since its a smaller cartridge. But I think its still a nice rifle, and I'm sure it will be nicer once I break her in. I'm glad I settled on the .223 first, so I know in the future when I decide to go with a bigger caliber I'll get a box mag.

JonM 12-04-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmidgets (Post 643172)
I suppose I do have an easier time since its a smaller cartridge. But I think its still a nice rifle, and I'm sure it will be nicer once I break her in. I'm glad I settled on the .223 first, so I know in the future when I decide to go with a bigger caliber I'll get a box mag.

they are nice rifles thats no doubt. my ONLY complaint with my 700 xcr was the magazine :(

TLuker 12-04-2011 08:39 PM

The advantage of an internal magazine is that you never have to worry about it. Your not going to forget it before you leave for a hunting trip or the range, and you're not going to misplace it anywhere. I've had rifles with internal mags including a Remington ADL in 30-06 and I have no complaints, but I do prefer a detachable box (which can also cause feed problems). I'm not really sure why I prefer a detachable magazine but I do? It's just personal preference.

jpattersonnh 12-04-2011 10:04 PM

I'm the odd man out. I will take a rifle w/ an internal over a box mag anyday. I don't own a Remington, so I can't comment on them. Swede Mausers, German Mausers, Howa, Savage, never had an issue.