Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Interested in a new semi-auto rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Interested in a new semi-auto rifle

Hey everyone. I'm looking into getting a new rifle (bigger than a .22) but there's no way I can afford an AR-15...so I was wondering if I should pick up something like a WASR-10, SKS, or Mini-14? and which one? are there any others I should look into you can recommend? I was looking at bolt actions also and one that caught my eye...as well as the price tag was a Savage 111 in 30-06 for 400 but I'd rather get a semi for now.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2009, 02:51 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

ta1588 - What do you want the weapon to do? What is your IDEAL platform??

You can build an AR for less than $1K - even these days

You can get several AK variants for around the $400-$500 and right now you can still get ammo.

The used market is always a plus, especially if you can find a person to person sale in your area.

So, tell us, what are you wanting the weapon to do?

JD

Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I'm not a hunter just yet so it'd probably be for just in case SHTF. I also just like to have them and target shoot with them. Kind of a hobbyist. But in a semi-auto I'd like to be able to hold at least 20 rounds and get some decent accuracy with a lot of customization options (unless i get a wood-stock mini-14 I couldn't bring myself to change it).

Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 AM   #4

A Yugoslavian SKS is a perfect step up gun and IMO is much higher quality and a better firearm than a bottom barrel AK like the WASR....still both good rifles though

And now you can sure your SKS into this when the stock releases!

Shernic Gun Works

Old 08-26-2009, 03:02 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
A Yugoslavian SKS is a perfect step up gun and IMO is much higher quality and a better firearm than a bottom barrel AK like the WASR....still both good rifles though

And now you can sure your SKS into this when the stock releases!

Shernic Gun Works
that is a sweet stock and I was liking the prices I've seen on the SKS but I haven't seen one in my area, the military surplus in my area has very few rifles.(although I thought I saw an auto-loading 30-06 which is awesome). Local gun shop has 4 AK-variants, and Dick's has the Mini-14. There are some other gun stores I'd like to explore that I haven't been to but they're a bit far.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #6

You can get a M1 carbine, service grade, for just under 600 with shipping from CMP. The service grade $495 Inland’s are sold out. Rack grade start at $419 for an Inland.
CMP Sales

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm

Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

A new Ruger Mini-14 will run you about $600 or more these days, and accuracy is not as good as an out-of-the-box AR. A DPMS Sportical AR-15 runs about $700. You can build an AR for about the same or less than the DPMS. If you desire 100 yd. accuracy on the order of 2" or less, stay away from the AK's and SKS's. With open sights my Yugo SKS only prints 4-6" groups at best, and it was bought in "arsenal new" condition for $300 three years ago. Save your money and buy a quality, accurate gun. You will never regret the purchase like you will if you buy an inaccurate gun of poor quality.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #8

Keep looking. You can still find ARs in the $700-$800.
I consider the AR to be one of the best platforms. Flexible.
If you're gonna get a milsurp, then shoot it as a milsurp semi-auto.
By the time you get through tweaking this and adding that, you'll slap yourself on the forehead and say "I could've had an AR!"

Old 08-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well all the AR's I've seen in my area are around $1,000 and I can get an AK for $500...I'm sort of leaning towards the AK because they're freakin' sweet and I also hear they're hella reliable? is that true? the one at the store I was checking out is a WASR-10 anybody have experience with those?

Old 08-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #10

My experience with a Norinco MAK90 that I paid about $360 for in 1994.
It shot about 4 ½ inches left at 50 yards with front sight as far over as possible. I had a guy at local gun store try to fix it, no luck. I read that it’s hard to get a scope to mount on them. So I put the rifle away until this summer.
I read that canted front sights are not that uncommon with AK’s. So I field stripped the rifle and took the stock off. I was able to look down the bore of rifle and see that the front sight was angled. I filed off the tack weld between the muzzle nut and front sight, and removed the front sight pins. Then I marked the barrel and front sight. Put the rifle on a piece of wood and tried to turn the front sight with a wood block and hammer. It didn’t look like the sight moved but when I looked down the bore again the front sight didn’t look as bad as before. I believe the barrels are pressed into the receiver, so the barrel must have turned. I put the rifle back together and took it to the range. It now shots about two inches right at 50 yards, so the sight can be adjusted now.
I’m going to hit the front sight one or two more times and I have to put a screw and washer in the part of the thumb stock where the pistol grip would have been. When the rifle was made they put a starter hole in the stock but didn’t put the screw in because the starter hole was out of alignment.
Another draw back of the AK is the V rear sight. When you get older they are hard to see, the peep sight is much better.

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm