Interested in long range - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Interested in long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1961 Times on 1253 Posts
Likes Given: 4421

I would just focus on getting the AR dialed in. As already pointed out it's good to 500 yards. Just add a good scope. Look up tips on accurizing it and focus on getting your groups as small as possible.

Save up for a good .308 or 30-06 while getting your AR dialed in.

Also figure out what you plan on doing with your long range rifle. There are basically two types of shooting: Hunting and Benchrest. Those are two very different forms of shooting and you would practice differently for each. You would also want different equipment for each.

This is also just my opinion but I think shooting is all about getting the most out of what ever gun you're shooting. I've dropped deer in their tracks up to 300 yards away with a 1942 Lee Enfield .303 British. I've got guns that are far more accurate but I'm very proud of how accurate I've made that gun. That gun was shooting well over 3 inch groups at 100 yards when I first got it (I was 16) and now it's shoots 1in groups. It's takes skill to dial in a rifle like that and I'm more proud of the 1" groups that I get out of that rifle than the .5" groups I get out of my Remington (the Remington didn't really take much skill to dial in).

You have three guns that you can work on getting the most out of. Getting those guns dialed in along with your shooting style is how you develop skills, and that's what its all about. I'm not a Mosin fan but some of those rifles have the potential to be very accurate. How much potential does yours have? .22's don't shoot very far but 5 shots in one hole is still impressive even at 50 yards. Yours might be able to do that? Putting shots on target at 500 yards with an AR is also pretty impressive. So I wouldn't worry to much about another rifle anytime soon. Just work on getting the most out of what you have.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

trigger time and practice. you already have three good candidates for practicing. each has their own unique personalities that will do you well for practicing to shoot longer ranges. practice with what you have first, then move up to something else as your experiance increases.

the 10/22 will be good for learning to shoot small groups at reasonable distances and very cheap to practice with.

the AR15, same thing, with a decent scope, you can move your distances out further than the 10/22. still one of the cheapest centerfire calibers to practice with.

the Mosin, with decent ammo and a good scope, this rifle could reach some very long distances. has been proven in the past that it ahs the potential to go accurately at long distances.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:23 AM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I had the same idea in mind when I bought my Howa 1500 in 30-06. It came with a scope that is good enough for 700 yards. The only thing I've changed on it was the scope mounts and scope rings... I also reload my own ammo.