Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Information needed please. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/information-needed-please-75176/)

modern_sniper 10-27-2012 08:31 PM

Information needed please.

So I own a J Stevens 425 high power 35. Mar 15.29.1290 Any information on it would be great. I am sure I could put a shell in and fire. More or less just needs basically a tune up and new finish all over. Sturdy, the lever is a little shakey but has no physical damage. I am going to put the money in it to get it looking like it should. But before I do I want to know everything about this rifle. I have a j.c. higgins 35 that is the same basic design as the stevens but I want to know the fine details. So anyone, please?

30-30remchester 10-28-2012 01:41 AM

First and foremost, when you refinish your Stevens, you VASTLY reduce and collectors valve. Second, I would ask fellow collectors their opinion and help with your project. You will find advise and assistance readily available. Speaking as a collector, we find real beauty in honest wear on a firearm. It would be appreciated by forum members to see photos of your Stevens as these were an uncommon gun seldom seen today.

modern_sniper 10-28-2012 05:25 PM

Ok and thanks. I will have picutres up at some point today. I knew it would decrease the value, its just i wouldnt say rust or corrosion but it has like an oxidized texture to it. Not rough and not real sick looking just wasn't sure if it would spread if i didnt take care dof it. But will post pics later so you can see.

modern_sniper 12-22-2012 10:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My 1910 35.

modern_sniper 12-22-2012 10:13 PM

Everyone im sorry foe the long wait but i havent had a phone capable of running the FT app

nitestalker 12-22-2012 10:29 PM

The Mdl 425 is a super rare most sought after lever action rifle. There were only a few ever made. I think they were made around 1918. There is a collectors group on the web asking anyone who owns one to contact them. They are hoping to catalog them. Do not change the rifle in any way. You can sell it very fast.
I made a big mistake and sold one without checking out. OUCH!

HockaLouis 12-22-2012 11:44 PM

Don't you dare reblue that gun!

7.62 Man 12-22-2012 11:50 PM

That is a great looking gun just the way it is.
Why do some people think that for something to look good it has to look new?

modern_sniper 12-23-2012 04:22 AM

Not that i wanted it to look good just to make it look like it did. But i understand what everyone is saying and yeah im not touching it. I dont want to sell it, it was my uncles once. I would like to make it fire. Everything seems operational just some of it is slighty semi resistant to move. No serious pressure is required just loose parts and some rough parts.