Info on jc higgin rifles - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Info on jc higgin rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
Alright thanks Tom. next time I go make a payment I see if I can get him down some.
Since you already have $$ on it he may tell you to get lost. Ask to see the rifle. Verify it has a chrome lined bore. Check the stamps carefully. If it does not have a chrome lined bore, That would effect value. Is the Scope a Colorado made Wideveiw?? That would add value to me as it would be correct for the period the rifle is from. It is also a VG scope. When I bought my Husqvarna 640 w/ original short side rail, the mount sealed it for me. Nothing today compares in fit or finish of these rifles. I'd try and get him down $50.00...100.00. You can also ask if he'd toss in 2 boxes of ammo.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #12

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

Since you already have $$ on it he may tell you to get lost. Ask to see the rifle. Verify it has a chrome lined bore. Check the stamps carefully. If it does not have a chrome lined bore, That would effect value. Is the Scope a Colorado made Wideveiw?? That would add value to me as it would be correct for the period the rifle is from. It is also a VG scope. When I bought my Husqvarna 640 w/ original short side rail, the mount sealed it for me. Nothing today compares in fit or finish of these rifles. I'd try and get him down $50.00...100.00. You can also ask if he'd toss in 2 boxes of ammo.
Ya I know the guys real good so I don't think he will tell me to get lost lol. He might go ahead and throw a box a shells in. But its in great shape has a beautiful stock on it and I believe the scope is a wide view don't remember. Next Friday I get paid so I will go and ask him more about it.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #13

Well I finely got it out and im in love with it!!! I took the redfield off and put a 2.5-10x44 tasco on it and I'm loving it.

image-3359598388.jpg

I will post better pics later

Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #14

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Well I finely got it out and im in love with it!!! I took the redfield off and put a 2.5-10x44 tasco on it and I'm loving it.

Attachment 95252

I will post better pics later
You got yourself a great gun. My father in law has one and he's promised it to me. I've had it with me on a few occassions and it's a great shooter and high quality gun. In it's day it was considered the "poor man's Winchester" because you could get one cheaper than a pre-64 Model 70, though in my opinon (and I own both) the FN Mauser is a superior gun (as he ducks from the crap storm).

The gun is certainly worth the $700 you paid for it though I do not think the going rate is quite that high. The good news is that folks are starting to figure out what these guns really are and what a modern equivalent goes for and the prices are going up FAST! So it's money well spent. You could not buy an equivalent rifle for that money today if your life depended on it.

The only thing I'm at a loss on is why would you switch out a Redfield scope for a Tasco? The Redfield is a better quality scope...

In any case congratulations on a fine gun purchase.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

You got yourself a great gun. My father in law has one and he's promised it to me. I've had it with me on a few occassions and it's a great shooter and high quality gun. In it's day it was considered the "poor man's Winchester" because you could get one cheaper than a pre-64 Model 70, though in my opinon (and I own both) the FN Mauser is a superior gun (as he ducks from the crap storm).

The gun is certainly worth the $700 you paid for it though I do not think the going rate is quite that high. The good news is that folks are starting to figure out what these guns really are and what a modern equivalent goes for and the prices are going up FAST! So it's money well spent. You could not buy an equivalent rifle for that money today if your life depended on it.

The only thing I'm at a loss on is why would you switch out a Redfield scope for a Tasco? The Redfield is a better quality scope...

In any case congratulations on a fine gun purchase.
I switched the scopes because I'm getting a Winchester model 70 300 win mag and it has a cheap famous maker on it. and I won't have the money to replace it with a good quality scope for a little while. the plan is to get a leupold for the 300 and put the redfield back on the jc lol I now confusing but I got a feeling the 300 will eat the fm with a couple boxes of shells.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #16

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
I switched the scopes because I'm getting a Winchester model 70 300 win mag and it has a cheap famous maker on it. and I won't have the money to replace it with a good quality scope for a little while. the plan is to get a leupold for the 300 and put the redfield back on the jc lol I now confusing but I got a feeling the 300 will eat the fm with a couple boxes of shells.
Ok I get it. Carry on, I was just curious and your plan makes sense.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

Ok I get it. Carry on, I was just curious and your plan makes sense.
Ya I'm paying 450 dollars for the 300 win mag it's a model 70 I'm thinking early 80s to early 90 it's in great shape.