Inexpensive bolt-action SHTF/HD/Hunting rifle? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Inexpensive bolt-action SHTF/HD/Hunting rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Just get one of those adjustable gas nuts for the Garand and you wont have to shoot just ammo loaded to M2 spec..
Why not KISS.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #42

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

And in this particular case, KISS would mean, what?

I'm thinking just find one single ammo brand/type/round that works and stick with that.

Is that what you're suggesting, too?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-23-2011, 02:40 AM   #43

Liked 426 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 7

i have a savage axis that i absolutely love but while they are inexpensive, fairly sturdy, & have a detachable magazine, they don't come with open sights.

how about a used Remington 700? there's lots of them out there & a few years back they still had iron sights, so that would fill your need for a scope with see thru mounts.

a friend of my dad's had one in .30-06 that he had set up as his "long range" hunting rifle & i do remember seeing him cleanly drop deer out to 400 yards. i even bagged a deer with it in high school & i remember it being a durable smooth running gun

Last edited by donthav1; 08-23-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #44

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Having read none of the threads, I'd say you're much better off investing in decent ammo for your AR and, more importantly, for training. The .223 can take deer in a pinch and fill antipersonell roles plenty well, if you can do your part. I'd say invest in both a small stock of quality general purpose ammo (60+gr soft point would be best), and then buy like a thousand rounds of plinking ammo for practice.

That, or buy a quality low-powered scope (a 2-7 would probably be ideal for a general-purpose rifle) to help fill these roles, and then use the rest to practice as much as you can, and then buy like 100 rounds of the aforementioned quality ammo.

If it's for an emergency, put less stock into weapons and invest more in being as capable as you can with what you have.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #45

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

You make a very valid point. I don't have really good options where I live for practice on my AR. I go west and they don't allow centerfire rifles. I go east and it isn't a range, just a rock quarry without good footing. I go south and I have to join to shoot. I go north and they only allow bench shooting.

I suppose I'm sitting in a WANT situation. Right now I want an M1 Garand ("Get off my lawn..."), but I can get a lot of other equipment for $1100!

I just got a great 2-8x AR scope. Perhaps it is true that a well-aimed .223 isn't the same as a .30-'06, but there's no such thing as MORE dead.

Since our budget here just got hammered, I'll have to consider this (or go back to the 91/30 idea for another year).

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #46

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well if you can't practice, it won't matter too much what bullet you're sending downrange :P . A hit to the shoulder with a .223 isn't going to leave the arm much more usable able than a hit with an FMJ .308. And a hit to the sternum with a .223 isn't going to make the target any less dead than a hit with a .308 :P .

So still, since this is a SHTF_type setup, I'd just try to get the most out of your AR, which can largely be done by making sure you hit what you're aiming at.

And I know exactly what you mean about just wanting gear. It happens to me when I go too long without being able to have a good range session. I normally go every week, but haven't gone in about two. Plus, the long range at my shooting club has been closed about a 5 weeks for extensive remodeling, so I haven't been able to get much long-range practice in with my .44mag. Thus, I have been constantly eyeballing new rifles :P .

So yeah, if you just want something fun, that's fine, but I honestly think you're JUST fine with your AR, especially with that scope on it.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I would dearly love to have another M1A Scout Squad. However, unless we win the Lottery, I don't see it happening anytime soon. So I must make do with what I have.

I've got two bolt action .30-06's, one open sights and one scoped for reaching out and touching someone. I've got a Mini 14 for whatever happens nearby.

My priority has been gathering enough ammunition for them as well as for handgun ammo. A new battle rifle, while desired and maybe even necessary, will have to wait.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams