Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Improving the Accuracy of a Factory Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

what is your recomendation on the trigger and stock of a ruger pc4 40 cal carbine

Old 05-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

wombatkiller

TRADE

Old 06-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #33

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Here's a couple of questions for those smarter than I am:

I am interested in purchasing a rifle in .308 caliber with a free floating barrel that is pillar bedded on a synthetic stock. If I do a DIY camo paint job on the rifle (including the barrel) will it affect accuracy for longer range shots (say 500 yards or more)? My initial thought is that it will as the paint would not be evenly distrubuted over the length of the barrel and therefore place different stressors on the barrel at different points. However, the paint certainly wouldn't add much weight to the barrel so will a decrease in accuracy even be noticible for someone not shooting in competition?

The other question I have is to the weight of the rifle. I have 2 models in mind and one weighs 6.25 lbs and the other 7.75 lbs due to having a bull barrel on it. I would like to use the rifle as a deer hunting rifle where I could have to potentially carry it for a mile or more into the woods with a tree stand. Would the 1.5 lb difference be noticible? I plan on equipping the rifle with a Harris bipod so I could also shoot from the prone supported position in open country. Would the better choice be the bull barrel model for its potentially better accuracy for longer shots or the standard barrel for having less weight for carrying it? I know it comes down to what is more important to me, weight or accuracy, but I'm at the point where I'm not sure which of the two criteria is more important and would like other's opinion in the matter. Thanks.

"When in doubt [use] C4." -Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)

Old 10-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #34

Depending on the make of the rifle, these three things will improve your accuacy. 1) Practice with the rifle you have choosen. You can never get enought. 2) Sights. If you will be using a scope, get one designed for the type of rifle you have. Don't put a twenty dollar w-mart .22 glasser on a 30.06, nor should you put a scope for a moderate round like the 30-06 on a magnum grade shooter like a .338 win mag. If you are going to use open sights, the best are of an aperture design, that is a small hole to look through at the rear and a good sight post front. 3) More practice. Like more bells and whistles on a car won't make you a better drive, more "things" put to a rifle won't make you a better shot. That said, if the above items have been done well there are items of interest that can be done to the rifle to make it a more stable platform. Bedding the barrel and action, gaurentees no recoil wiggle, crowning the muzzle, keeps the bullet in contact with the lands and groves for the full length of barrel which in turn keeps the bullet path truer longer, lapping the barrel, very time consuming to do it corretly but provides the bullet a near glass smooth path further stabilizing it. But the fundamentals must be gotten down first, practice-sights and sight picture-practice.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusterleXD View Post
Here's a couple of questions for those smarter than I am:

I am interested in purchasing a rifle in .308 caliber with a free floating barrel that is pillar bedded on a synthetic stock. If I do a DIY camo paint job on the rifle (including the barrel) will it affect accuracy for longer range shots (say 500 yards or more)? My initial thought is that it will as the paint would not be evenly distrubuted over the length of the barrel and therefore place different stressors on the barrel at different points. However, the paint certainly wouldn't add much weight to the barrel so will a decrease in accuracy even be noticible for someone not shooting in competition?

The other question I have is to the weight of the rifle. I have 2 models in mind and one weighs 6.25 lbs and the other 7.75 lbs due to having a bull barrel on it. I would like to use the rifle as a deer hunting rifle where I could have to potentially carry it for a mile or more into the woods with a tree stand. Would the 1.5 lb difference be noticible? I plan on equipping the rifle with a Harris bipod so I could also shoot from the prone supported position in open country. Would the better choice be the bull barrel model for its potentially better accuracy for longer shots or the standard barrel for having less weight for carrying it? I know it comes down to what is more important to me, weight or accuracy, but I'm at the point where I'm not sure which of the two criteria is more important and would like other's opinion in the matter. Thanks.
If your barrel is truely a free floating design, test this by gently trying to slide a dollar bill under the barrell from front(muzzle end) to back. Afree float barrel will allow the bill to go the full length of barrel to the main recoil lug. If it doesn't it may only be a partially floated type. These are common. If it is a floater then the proper paint will not affect it's performance. On your bull barrel, you wouldn't realize any significant performance issues floater or not as the heavy barrel will take up the slack a regular barrel might have. Brownells has several good paint finishes that will give a very thin but durable repairable finish. I have and have carried a 7mm-08 with a bull barrel into and through the woods to no ill effect. I comes down to what you want to tote around. Just be a good sport, knowing that if you are blessed to take an animal, what you tote in you have to tote out. Good shooting!

Old 06-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #36

Most of the time a shooter is responsible for the inaccuracy of the rifle. Just saying. Firearms made back during 1930+ had fantastic accuracy without the knowledge of bedding and fair triggers and what not. The shooters took there time and had patients in between shots. These days everyone is always on such a fast past move that even at the range everyone tries to shoot as fast a possible. People need to slow down and take there time.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #37

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

What about the Mossberg MVP Predator? It has Lightning Bolt Action adjustable trigger and a factory free floating stock. What mods need to be made.

Sent from B.L.A.C Ops
iPhone using Firearms Talk