Improving the Accuracy of a Factory Rifle - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Improving the Accuracy of a Factory Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Grey, everytime I think I know everything there is to know about a particular subject someone like you comes along and pulls the rug out from under me! Ouch. Your excellent post opened up a whole new "can of worms" in my mind on the subject of lug inspection and lapping. I have a M48 action that is in very good shape and quite smooth in operation. At some time I will probably re-barrel it to a 7X57, 257 Rob. or 22-250. In tinkering with it I applied die chem the the lugs, worked the bolt several times and had what appeared to be about 80-90% contact. This sounded pretty good until I read your post and it became obvious that checking contact improperly was as bad as lapping improperly. When I did this check the action was out of a stock and the trigger assy. was installed. What procedure do you follow for checking lug contact?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #22

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Lug contact should be checked by removing the striker assembly and using a fired, unsized case to hold the bolt against the locking lug seats. If the barrel is off the action. hold the action vertically (face up) in the vise and just apply pressure straight back with a piece of dowel. GD

Old 12-11-2010, 02:33 AM   #23

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default accuracy of factory rifle

great points of topic ,great info ...........however once this is all done if one does a poor job of breaking in the barrel .....the owners frustration with poor groups will rear its ugly head ...take your time with proper break-in ..this is key to all the extra money spent on accurization . just like builing a race engine ....all the horsepower in the world doesnt do any good if you dont have breaks... good shooting

Old 12-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #24

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
great points of topic ,great info ...........however once this is all done if one does a poor job of breaking in the barrel .....the owners frustration with poor groups will rear its ugly head ...take your time with proper break-in ..this is key to all the extra money spent on accurization . just like builing a race engine ....all the horsepower in the world doesnt do any good if you dont have breaks... good shooting
If you buy a quality barrel they are hand lapped and don't need all that extra shooting.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:11 AM   #25

Default barrel break in ....tango

all of the previous threads said nothing about a re-barrel..to a custom hand lapped barrel. the threads said ''factory'' rifle ...which i interpret has factory barrel on it .

Old 12-16-2010, 04:19 AM   #26

Default to stalking bear

nice elk ....is that is the one you got with the ky permit? ...congtats

Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #27

well stalkingbear I beleive you covered that quiet well I have two new remington 700's think I will try that on both of them.The latest is the CDL in .300 win.mag.it already has factory adjustable trigger but the BDL in 30-06 does not.Thanks for the input a great help indeed

Old 07-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #28

Shoot, shoot , shoot.
My guns are dirty. One of my scopes needs to be sighted in again. And the only triger job I have had, was one i did myself; it's not very good.

I shoot my guns all the time. Each gun has a different trigger pull but I have a feel for each one. Each rifle rests differently on my shoulder but have a certain spot for each.

In some sense it's like shooting trap. You dont draw a bead on the clay,,, you just point the barrell and hit it.

After a while you just sight in and hit the mark.

I'm certainly no sniper,,, but the more I shoot the better I get.
My 15 yr old son shoots more than me. He's also a better shot!
Some day we are goin to slow down and clean our Guns,,, just kidding ,, kind of !!!!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The first thing for my .308 is a better lighter trigger! the one I have now is to HARD to pull! fill the butt with small shot a new recoil pad and that should do it.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101
The first thing for my .308 is a better lighter trigger! the one I have now is to HARD to pull! fill the butt with small shot a new recoil pad and that should do it.
I use jewel triggers. You will not have any complaints with them. My 260 AI and the 6mm dashed that I am currently building now will both set down to a half oz.