Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Im lost... 20 MOA or 0 MOA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Im lost... 20 MOA or 0 MOA?

What cons would I have if I got a 20 MOA rail?

Some people claim you won't be able to shoot well below 200 yards and so people say it won't be a problem as long as you have the right scope...

I mean, no matter what rail I have, if my scope is zeroed at 200 yards, it's zeroed at 200 yards..

I don't see the problem...

Now if I get a scope that simply CAN'T be zeroed at 100 yards with the 20 MOA rail then I could see that it's not a good choice, but as long as my scope has enough MOA travel then what are the downsides...?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

I am interested in this also.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 10-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6574 Times on 3593 Posts
Likes Given: 12883

The zero is the point where the bullet and crosshairs intersect. You could climb a ladder to look through a scope zeroed at 200 yards and still not see a foot in front of the rifle. It is best to keep the angle as small as possible.

image-1656407585.jpg  

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 10-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Depends on the scope and what your ultimately trying to do.

The purpose of a canted rail is to give a scope more elevation than it would normally have available. So its canted up. This means you need to have at least 30 moa of depression in the scope for it to have enough adjustment to zero if your using it at shorter distance.

Most scopes only have 40 total moa of adjustment stop to stop until you get to higher end optics. This means your going to bottom out before your zeroed.

My nightforce nxs has 120 moa of range so is able to use a canted rail. My nikon monarch only has 40 and once it gets past 15 moa it no longer tracks true.

This means my nxs when zeroed with a noncanted rail has 60 moa up and 60 down. With a cant of 20 it has 80 up and 40 down. It tracks true from first click to last. This means each click is the stated value of adjustmemt. Going from click 119 to 120 its .25 moa on my nikon on the last click its like .30 moa while in the middle range its .25 as it gets closer to the end the click value starts to change. This is important at long range because each click at 1000 yards on a 1/4 moa click is 2.5 inches...

If your just zeroing its a non issue. If your not shooting past 900 yards there is no real poijt to a canted rail unless your optic is just simply horrendous and doesnt have enough elevation to get zeroed at 100 or 200. If thats the case you have the wrong rings installed.

The only rifle i have with a canted rail is the wife's saveage 10 fcpsr. The only reason it does is because it came with it. I have no need for canted rails as most of my shooting is under 500yds. Even benchrest types dont really use them since most of the scopes they use have enough built in elevation.

If your shooting a 338lpm at 1500 yards your going to need a canted rail. If your shooting a 308 at deer and range plinking you dont.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-17-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 10-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #5

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Another problem you encounter if you have to compensate your elevation at close range by bottoming your crosshairs out, is that you also lost a lot if your windage travel, because the reticle cylinder inside the tube has less side to side travel once it is close to the top or bottom of the tube than when it is in the center.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #6

Liked 213 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Most scopes offer atleast 40 moa from center and that's more than enough for up close to normal long hunting shots with a normal 0 moa base. More than needed for most any center fire cartridge for shots at 800yards. If you not planning on try'n 1000 yard competition don't worth about the base and buy what ever normal brand you want. I shoot to 500 yardas with nothing special . weaver base and riongs and old hunting scopes.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Another problem you encounter if you have to compensate your elevation at close range by bottoming your crosshairs out, is that you also lost a lot if your windage travel, because the reticle cylinder inside the tube has less side to side travel once it is close to the top or bottom of the tube than when it is in the center.
This is also true on most lower end scopes. That's why things like schmittbender swarovoski usoptics nightforce etc are so pricey. Its not cheap to retain those adjustments at extreme ranges

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #8

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
That's interesting....makes a lot of sense...I love this forum

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 10-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Okay. Figured it out:
I'm going with a 0 MOA scope base..

This is mainly for hunting under 300 yards.
Besides, I don't even know of a range that will allow me to shoot further than 500 yards..

It will literally never happen..
If it does, I'll spend the money for a different base.,

Thansk

Old 10-18-2013, 03:04 AM   #10
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Most scopes offer atleast 40 moa from center and that's more than enough for up close to normal long hunting shots with a normal 0 moa base. More than needed for most any center fire cartridge for shots at 800yards. If you not planning on try'n 1000 yard competition don't worth about the base and buy what ever normal brand you want. I shoot to 500 yardas with nothing special . weaver base and riongs and old hunting scopes.
Wrong.
Most hunting scopes have around 40 moa of total adjustment range- Top to Bottom,not 40 moa from the crosshairs when centered.

If you center the crosshairs in most scopes,you will have approx. 20 moa of adjustment up or down,or left to right.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club