I'm looking for the "general purpose rifle"...what do you suggest me? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > I'm looking for the "general purpose rifle"...what do you suggest me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 741 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

PROUDLY MADE IN MONTANA, USA
3582 Hwy 93 S | Kalispell, MT 59901 | Phone: (406) 752-NEMO | Email: info@NEMOarms.com | www.nemoarms.com

THE OMEN
OMEN // Match
SPECIFICATIONS:
»
Billet Upper and Lower Receiver, SF Tiger Stripe Anodize
»
NEMO 22” .300 Win Mag Match Grade Barrel
»
Geissele SSA-E Trigger
»
Free Float Customizable Handguard With
Removable Rail System In Black
»
Low Profile Gas Block
»
Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Assembly
»
NEMO Side Charging Handle
»
NEMO PC Tornado Flash Hider
»
Mako Sniper Stock
»
Hogue Overmolded Pistol Grip In Black
»
KNS Anti-Rotational Trigger Pins
»
2 NEMO 14 Round Mags
»
Tru-Spec Drag Bag
»
Owners Manual
OPTIONS
»
Troy Micro Set Flip Up Sights
»
26” Heavy Match Grade Barrel
»
Optics
Recently, our dialogue with operators and battlefield intel told us
that there was an increasing need for an advanced semiautomatic
sniper system chambered in the proven .300 Win Mag. Our
R&D team went to work immediately to develop a reliable and
accurate long range solution to adapt our lightweight aerospace-
precision-machined platform into a heavier magnum round. The
OMEN represents a paradigm shift from traditional bolt-action
towards precision-ARs. Shoot one for yourself and experience
first-hand an advanced evolution in military-grade ARs

nemo-match-.300-win-mag.jpg  

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 09-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #22

Liked 751 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Ok, is pretty obvious that can't get all with a single rifle(Some rifles are more powerfull, some rifles are more accurate, some rifles are more reliable...etc).
But I was wondering...what rifle can get closer to the definition of "General purpose rifle"(which means that you can use it in a combat situation, for hunting, etc)?

I want to buy a new rifle that:
-Is battle proven(Can be be used in a real combat situation) and effective on the field
-can be used as a hunting rifle and a survival rifle.
-can be used in a CQC environment and can be accurate till 400-600m(With optics) and 150-350m with iron sights.

My first choice was:
1)DSA FAL(I shot one last week....7,62x51..an let me say it...I LOVE IT!!!The tactical upgrades are awesome and the rifle, despite its caliber, is pretty controllable even on full-auto(I usually don't use the full-auto mode, but it's a feature taht can be useful in some situation!!!
2)HK G3 A3-A classic.I love this rifle, some shooters say it is too bulky and heavy, but its weight is not a problem to me(I'm trained to carry extra weight)
3)Zastava M59/66A1. The accuracy of this weapon and its reliability are simply leggendary.I have shot it using iron sights and with optics:Believe or not, it was one of the prefered weapons of the serbian paramilitary and snipers-I know perfectly why!The only thing I would change form the original design, is to replace the default bolt (Free floating) with a spring loaded one.I would also replace the forniture with a tactical one(Foldable stock).Regarding the rifle feeding:If I would be able to preserve the reliability of the rifle, I would modify it to accept ak mag(Yeahm there are 10,20,30,60,75 an even 100 rnd mags for the ak...that's why I would do it)

Any suggestions?
Where in the hell are you finding a full auto Fal???? You are asking a question i wouldnt expect from a class III dealer/owner? Sorry if I step on any toes but I am curious.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #23

Liked 149 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 76

This seems to be drifting a way from a good "general purpose" rifle to a more specialized one. Granted for very long range sniping, the .300 Win. Mag. would be the ticket. But how often is someone going to be shooting 800 meters plus ? The .308/7.62 will reach out as far as most of us can shoot well and will ever need to shoot. Most all combat engagements and hunting shots will be under 300, and more often than not , even closer than that. Have you ever shot a deer at closer ranges with a 150 gr. bullet in a .300 Win Mag. or 7mm Rem. Mag. ? A lot of edible meat turns into pink mist. The .308 is adequate for all North American game, excepting the grizzly and Kodiak bears, within normal hunting ranges. I have shot black bears, big bull elk and a bull moose, and a friend shot a large bison with his .308. The .308 did fine. More ammo can be carried, cheaper to practice with, less recoil so shots can be more precisely placed. On a side note, it gets me how some will say a .308 is barely adequate for big game, but a 30/06 is the greatest. Not much difference at all between the two. Hell, why don't we just say the .30-.378 Weatherby or the 50. B.M.G. is the best general purpose rifle ?

Old 09-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #24

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Didn't read the entire thread, but what about an SKS? Its been killing critters of the two and four legged variety for many many years. 7.62x39 is ballistically close to a 30-30 and ammo is fairly cheap still.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #25

Liked 1139 Times on 741 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
This seems to be drifting a way from a good "general purpose" rifle to a more specialized one. Granted for very long range sniping, the .300 Win. Mag. would be the ticket. But how often is someone going to be shooting 800 meters plus ? The .308/7.62 will reach out as far as most of us can shoot well and will ever need to shoot. Most all combat engagements and hunting shots will be under 300, and more often than not , even closer than that. Have you ever shot a deer at closer ranges with a 150 gr. bullet in a .300 Win Mag. or 7mm Rem. Mag. ? A lot of edible meat turns into pink mist. The .308 is adequate for all North American game, excepting the grizzly and Kodiak bears, within normal hunting ranges. I have shot black bears, big bull elk and a bull moose, and a friend shot a large bison with his .308. The .308 did fine. More ammo can be carried, cheaper to practice with, less recoil so shots can be more precisely placed. On a side note, it gets me how some will say a .308 is barely adequate for big game, but a 30/06 is the greatest. Not much difference at all between the two. Hell, why don't we just say the .30-.378 Weatherby or the 50. B.M.G. is the best general purpose rifle ?
Quote:
I want to buy a new rifle that:
-Is battle proven(Can be be used in a real combat situation) and effective on the field
-can be used as a hunting rifle and a survival rifle.
-can be used in a CQC environment and can be accurate till 400-600m(With optics) and 150-350m with iron sights.
I dont think the .300 win mag is a specialized rifle , its been killing big game and the enemy for a long ,long time , Ammo is far cheaper than most other long range rifles in its category such as 50 bmg, .338 lapua and the 6.5 creedmoor , yes it does a number on Deer but big game like Elk , moose , bear and etc its fine . This would be a general purpose rifle that is combat effective just like the OP is asking for . Now the price iof the gun is kind of ridiculous which would " make it a specialty item for most of us " Yes its beyond his distance required .
The AR10 is ok for what he is asking for and would get the job done at a lesser cost but the .300 win mag is just a more universal cartridge for what he is looking for IMHO

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 09-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #26

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Something is telling me that the .300win mag would not excel in CQC....

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

People Like This 
Old 09-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #27

Liked 2208 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
Something is telling me that the .300win mag would not excel in CQC....
Ballistic tip bullets in a 300 mag destroy the front end of a 150 lb deer at close range. That should be adequate for a one shot stop on an aggressive man. The 300 mag penetrates all but the very heaviest body armor. I am trying to find a downside in a CQC situation. Do I need to go on? Not to mention the long distance capability of the 300 mag.

Last edited by John_Deer; 09-24-2013 at 04:00 AM.
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 09-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #28

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I think an Ar15 fits that description on what your looking for as a general purpose rifle. Sks fits it too. SHTF, hunting target practice. Get an AR and then get a rifle for a purpose such as a 308, 30-06 7mm.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #29

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

You cannot put an AR-10 (.308) upper on an AR-15
Never knew that! I always thought you just had to switch out the upper and buy some new mags! I dont own an ar15 so i dont know thanks!

Old 09-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #30

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer

Ballistic tip bullets in a 300 mag destroy the front end of a 150 lb deer at close range. That should be adequate for a one shot stop on an aggressive man. The 300 mag penetrates all but the very heaviest body armor. I am trying to find a downside in a CQC situation. Do I need to go on? Not to mention the long distance capability of the 300 mag.
The OP is looking for something for CQC and a maximum range of 600M. I don't understand why a .300WM would be a reasonable choice? Could you clear a building with it? Probably but why would you when there are such better alternatives.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

sandog Likes This