Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > im about to buy some turk surplus ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default im about to buy some turk surplus ammo

it is stamped 1946 i read that its not to dependable. what do you guys think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I shot a bunch of the Turk 8x57 a few years back and it all went bang. I still have a can of it, but don't remember the year made. Very corrosive, so get your corrosive cleaning equipment ready.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

63 years old, yep, better wash the barrel down with coffee before you head home to really clean her!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8373 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

1. Get ready to clean the bore, chamber, and bolt face. Corrosive but reliable.
2. Get the BIG bottle of aspirin- stuff is loaded hot. It WILL hurt the next day.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #5

Liked 671 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 674

I shoot 1949 Turk. I bought 2 cases at estate sales. No one else new what it was since it says 7.9 Ankara. $100.00 for 1600 rounds per case. Really decent ammo. It all goes bang and is fairly accurate. It is hot! All I do is run some boiling water down the bore and through the bolt and clean as usual. Corrosive ammo is no big deal, as long as you clean the same day.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:42 AM   #6

so i shot a few of these rounds the other day and you guys were right they pack a punch ... my girlfriend even asked me if the rounds i shot were different than the other 8mm cause the sound was so much more powerful. anyways my question now is about pressure signs... im very new to guns so bear with me.... i noticed that after the first round the shell didnt eject it was stuck to the bolt face... and after every subsequent shot i found the bolt was sticking.... on a earlier thread i was asking how to clean my bolt cause i thought the bolt on my yugo was tough to operate to begin with (i later was told by the gunsmith that it seemed smooth to him go figure) but now im more concerned about the bolt.... if i continue to use this turk ammo will i damage my bolt????

Old 12-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2577 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Pressure signs. Look at the fired case, especially the primer. High pressure will flatten the primer so it no longer has the rounded edges. Very high pressure will cause cratering of the primer around the firing pin indentation. You will see raised metal around the indentation. Combine this with an oversize firing pin hole in the bolt face and you will get primer flow. The primer material will become almost liquid under pressure and flow into the area between the bolt face and the firing pin. This can "lock up" the action.

The firing pin hole can be welded up and redrilled if needed. The firing pin may be eroded from corrosive ammo. A new FP may be the cheapest fix.

Yes the Turk ammo is hot. I found it to be reasonably accurate, but not match grade.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #8

Liked 671 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 674

What rifle are you shooting it out of?

Old 12-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #9

Just a thought,is the ammo lacquered steel cased?
This sounds an awfull lot like the sticky bolt synrome the Mosin Nagant gets when shooting some milsurp ammos.

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Not sure about the surplus stuff, but I've got four 20 rd. packs of non-corrosive 8mm Mauser ammo for sale if you're interested.