If you had $500 for a 1000+ yard setup... - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

If you had $500 for a 1000+ yard setup...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Maybe they have fixed it but that was my experience in April of 2013. You are awfully defensive of remlin. Did you buy remlin stock recently? Are you just trying to start a fight? Which is it?
Axxe & John, I think this is irrelevant. If the guns are made in separate factories using separate parts made by separate groups of people, who cares who the owner is?

The question would be what is the quality of their individual products and whether each group would back up their workmanship with a good warranty and good service. If all 3 have the same warranty program the same problems with their products and the same ornery customer service, and also the same owner, then maybe it would matter.

But not to this thread since neither Marlin or H&R have been listed on this thread YET as making a good long distance rifle inside of the price range.

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-12-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #82
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Maybe they have fixed it but that was my experience in April of 2013. You are awfully defensive of remlin. Did you buy remlin stock recently? Are you just trying to start a fight? Which is it?
i simply proved a point. so you're saying in the last six months they changed all the phone numbers, and now they have all seperate ones?

i tend to be defensive when people spread rumors as if they were the truth, regardless of what it is.

BTW, i also went through some of my owners manuals on my Remingtons and all my Marlins, and guess what? the phone numbers i listed are the same numbers in the owners manuals. hmmmm.........

Old 10-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Axxe & John, I think this is irrelevant. If the guns are made in separate factories using separate parts made by separate groups of people, who cares who the owner is?

The question would be what is the quality of their individual products and whether each group would back up their workmanship with a good warranty and good service. If all 3 have the same warranty program the same problems with their products and the same ornery customer service, and also the same owner, then maybe it would matter.

But not to this thread since neither Marlin or H&K have been listed on this thread YET as making a good long distance rifle inside of the price range.
i get tired of people that keep repeating lies and such as if they were facts. i don't doubt that Remington may have some problems, but to spread rumors and lies as if they were the truth is a disservice to everyone. if a person can't speak the truth, might be better if they didn't speak at all.

i have had my say and will say no more and allow people to make their own conclusions. i have proven my point so i'm done now.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
i get tired of people that keep repeating lies and such as if they were facts. i don't doubt that Remington may have some problems, but to spread rumors and lies as if they were the truth is a disservice to everyone. if a person can't speak the truth, might be better if they didn't speak at all. i have had my say and will say no more and allow people to make their own conclusions. i have proven my point so i'm done now.
Hey I hope your not. I respect your opinion.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Hey I hope your not. I respect your opinion.
i think i have contributed enough to this thread so far. i have had my say and stand by what i said with no apologies given. i will allow others to draw their own conclusions as to the other poster's credibility.
Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #86

Liked 1310 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i think i have contributed enough to this thread so far. i have had my say and stand by what i said with no apologies given. i will allow others to draw their own conclusions as to the other poster's credibility.
My,Are we a might touchy tonight!!!!

Everyone has their favorite brands of rifles,and I always find it stupid that people say brand X is junk,and brand Y is the best.
The only truth to most of those statements is that a particular shooter either had a bad experience with one firearm,and then thinks everyone of that particular brand of firearm is a POS,or they are brand snobs.
The facts are that firearms are put together by humans,and the person putting a particular firearm together on a certain day might make a few mistakes on a few of them,and then the QC dept misses it when they aren't paying attention to their job.
North American Hunting Club
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
My,Are we a might touchy tonight!!!!

Everyone has their favorite brands of rifles,and I always find it stupid that people say brand X is junk,and brand Y is the best.
The only truth to most of those statements is that a particular shooter either had a bad experience with one firearm,and then thinks everyone of that particular brand of firearm is a POS,or they are brand snobs.
The facts are that firearms are put together by humans,and the person putting a particular firearm together on a certain day might make a few mistakes on a few of them,and then the QC dept misses it when they aren't paying attention to their job.
exactly. i have a preference for Remington M700's and have for many years, but i also own many other brands of rifles as well. i am not a brand snob by any means and appreciate an accurate rifle, regardless of the name etched into the reciever.

i am also smart enough to know that any item that is mass produced in great numbers, can have some that are not up to snuff, and should never have been outside the factory doors. that is a QC issue more than anything.
Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #88

Liked 227 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I really hope that Remington does improve their build quality, I have long loved their rifles for several reasons.
1. The Rem 700 is a very good action design, simply among the best.
2 Remington BDLs have a fantastic overall feel to them, classic American sporter something that is quickly becoming a lost art in this age of cookie cutter rifle designs, which are predominantly 110 rip offs to varying degrees.
3. Remington 700 use appropriate length barrels on high powered cartridges, I don't want a 22" tube on a 30-06 270 Win or 25-06, almost everyone else thinks I need a snuby barrel on high intensity cartridges and Remington is one of the few companies that offers me 24" and 26" barrels.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 03:40 AM   #89

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

I dont consider myself a brand snob, I have my preferences, others can have theirs. I think that all the makers make good rifles, just some people may find that a certain brand fits them best, or like a certain ones looks better. And Im sure there are good and bad in each brand. Personally, ive had the best experiences with Remingtons. I dont believe that much of anything is made as good as they used to be, and quality control could be improved in them all. They are a business, to make as much profit as they can. Too often, we (the customers) are shorted here and there to make that extra profit.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have listed the options for rifles brought up so far.

Next to each rifle I have listed the cost

Next to the cost I listed whether or not that cost included optics.

Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP (Price: $645 Scope: Included)
Remington M700 SPS (Price: ?Scope:No)
Savage Axis (Price: $250 Used Scope: No)
Tikka T3 (Price:? Scope:?)
Mosin 91/30 PU Sniper($600 Scope: Included)
Howa 1500 (Price: ? Scope: ?)
Marlin X7 (Price: $370 Scope: No)

The calibers listed most often were:
300 winmag
7mm mag
6.5 creedmoor

The caliber with the best terminal ballistics past 1000 yards

300 WinMag

According to the research I was able to find it is recommended for medium-large game (up to 700lbs) at distances of 1200 yards and beyond and consistently produces larger wounds than the runner up, which is of course the 7mm mag.

Obviously other opinions may vary. But it is notable that most military and law enforcement snipers now use this caliber over 7mm mag AND .308.

So I will pick 300 Winchester Magnum for my setup.

So let's see some sparks fly.

In your exalted opinions, which of the above list of rifles shoots the BEST MOA OUT OF THE BOX?

Also, while everyone has taken the easy bait and listed a rifle, very few people have taken the much harder to tackle RELIABLE OPTIC for 1000 yards that doesn't automatically DESTROY our $500 budget.

Any takers? I'll compile a list of the ones already put up here later. This kraken rum is making me kinda sleepy.

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-12-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This