Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > If you had $500 for a 1000+ yard setup...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Well the way you described the performance desired, it is almost as if you want guaranteed hits at long distance, which can be hard to Achebe in a tight budget.

Used Savage, Remington's, Winchesters, The often overlooked Howa rifles, are all good modern designs that have mechanical accuracy available. Tikka and Sako rifles are also accurate, but you'd need do be lucky like I was and find someone who doesn't know what they've got. (I netted a Sako at a gunshow from a table holder, who didn't know squat for effectively no cost to me, for a swap of my Savage 10 with a nice Burris scope, and him handing me an additional $200).

So if you add in the lucky find factor, then performance on a budget is doable.

Check the Howa 1500 series rifles though. Usually underpriced for the accuracy they are capable of.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #12

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Oh, and you are shopping at the worst time of year to find a diamond in the rough, bolt gun, since deer and elk season opened. Usually late winter or early spring is when I find folks dumping their hunting rifles.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Howa has several gameking packages that can be found for $500 NIB. The gameking package is a howa 1500 with a scope. The gameking package won't win a competition but it is capable of hitting IDPA targets at 1,000 yards. The gameking comes in several calibers that have been proven at 1,000 yards, .270, .308, 30/06, 300 wsm, 7mm. I am sure I missed a few calibers that would be adequate or more desirable.

Another option would be to find a used Howa 1500 chambered in the caliber of the shooters choice at a good price. That would leave $150 to get a Nikon 24x scope. You might have to settle for a refurbished scope to stay under budget.

Most popular hunting calibers have been proven at 1,000 yards. The hunting calibers that haven't been proven at 1,000 yards shoot a bullet that is so light wind drift would have to be calculated in Kentucky windage or they are designed to deliver a very heavy load at short distances.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2194 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Oh, and you are shopping at the worst time of year to find a diamond in the rough, bolt gun, since deer and elk season opened. Usually late winter or early spring is when I find folks dumping their hunting rifles.
I'm not shopping, I'm researching. Gun shopping time for me is December, when all the extra duty money is floating around.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 10-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #15

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Don't have a Savage in 6.5 Creedmroe, mine are 30-06 and 270 WSM, but both are accurate enough to hit steel at 1,000 I am sure, the 06 is holding 1/2 MOA consistently and it is not unusual for the WSM to give me one hole groups @100 when I do my part, and to make that just a little bit more unreal they are doing that with soft point hunting bullets! I got them both on the cheap I consider them a top buy for cheap accuracy. That said THE most accurate rifle I have ever found under $500 (or any price range) is my Tikka. Personal best with it is a 1/12th MOA using SST handloads, sadly I don't have a 1,000yd range anywhere near here.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5287 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 333

The problem you find with most optics and why you can't get a good 1000+ yardage is elevation. I can't think of a single sub 500$ scope that tracks true with enough elevation to get to 1000 yards much less over other than the pu and posp soviet style. That's why I said mosin pu sniper. The probkem comes from scope design where the entire image moves for windage elevation. In the pu posp designs the reticle moves around not the whole image.this gives a lot of room for elevation that tracks true which is why the pu can be so cheap for its ruggedness and reliability.

Your hurdle isn't the gun its the optics. Pretty much any credible caliber can be done pretty cheap in a decently accurate rifle. Its when you go looking at optics the real problem with scope offerings arises.

When you buy a budget scope they are designed to be zeroed and left alone for hunting purposes. When you start expecting each click to be a certain value each time ESPECIALLY at near the end of the dial you run into issues with cheap scopes. They simply don't track well.

I've been through a LOT of optics and tracking at the end is always the problem. I do my testing on a 80 inch target with the aim point at the base I start at max or near max elevation shoot a group move 2 moa and shoot again groups should be two inches apart. I've yet to see anything other than trijicon aimpoint rds and nightforce optics succeed doing this and do it accross the entire range.

That being said you can work around by zeroing at those ranges and try and count clicks needed but they aren't going to equate to the advertised click setting.

I do have cheaper scopes like nikons (a favorite of mine) but I don't expect them to perform at extremes.

Anyway my point is you can find a cheap rifle capable of hitting at distance but your not going to find a cheap optic that can do what I'm assuming your wanting.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 10-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #17

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

$500 is pretty tough to do without optics unless you get a lucky find on a nice used one . Saying that I probably try to find a Savage model 110 in .300 win mag . Very effective round and still reasonably priced on the store shelves . I know there are better calibers but in my neck of the woods 6.5 creedmoor , .338 Lapua and a few others are non existent on the shelves and when I do find it on the shelves its pretty over priced compared to other more common calibers. Also going to need a 30 MOA mount to really get there with most any scope

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-09-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 640 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Go to gunsamerica.com and search by caliber 300 winmag and set price at $500 there are 26 rifles many with scopes available under 500 most are used but they are mostly quality savages, remy, mossberg, howa and weatherby. The caliber fits your needs and the optics are mostly decent ones. I would however save and upgrade at a later point to a nightforce nxs

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19873 Times on 11288 Posts
Likes Given: 50109

i have to agree that the rifles or the cartridges are not the biggest factor, but the optics in this price range are the limiting factor. simple truth is, you can't hit what you can't see. now if you opened up the price to say $1000 for the whole rifle and scope rig, you can get there much easier. say, $300-350 for a good used or new rifle in an adequate caliber, and that leaves $650-700 for a decent scope.

even with a no limit budget, hitting consistently at a 1000 yards is going to be hard to do for the average shooter to begin with. with a $500 limit, probably dang near impossible. hits would be more luck than skill at that range.

but with the idea of this thread, it gives us good ideas for inexpensive target or hunting rifle ideas though.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2194 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
but with the idea of this thread, it gives us good ideas for inexpensive target or hunting rifle ideas though.
Honestly, while I am hoping for more since I actually have places where I can shoot out to 1000 yards and beyond, if all this thread does is compile a list of good inexpensive hunting rifles and optics, I would be more than satisfied.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
Axxe55 Likes This