Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > If you had $500 for a 1000+ yard setup...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Default If you had $500 for a 1000+ yard setup...

If you only had $500 and had to buy an entire rifle setup that would shoot reliably and accurately past 1000 yards, and would have good enough terminal ballistics at that range to drop a human being, what would you buy? List the manufacturer, model, caliber, optics and any accessories that might be needed. List the cost of each.

Before you say it cant be done, in 2011 Nick Leghorn with TTAG wrote a short article in which he purchased a $500 1000 yard setup. You can read what he did here. But I couldn't find the follow up article. And he had a ridiculous number of restricted options due to testing his setup on a military range. I'm saying no restrictions except budget and terminal ballistics.

Now, before you reply, I know that "you get what you pay for" is definitely a factor when purchasing a gun. I don't skimp on gun purchases. I have never cut a corner on a gun purchase in my entire life. So if you are going to give me a "spend the money if you want the quality" lecture, don't bother.

My ideal setup for long range would cost me over $17000. I would get a TrackingPoint XS1, chambered in .338 Lapua and what the heck since I'm dreaming already, id go ahead and spring a few extra grand for a good suppressor too. But I'm not talking about an ideal setup. I'm talking about the cheapest rifle possible that will knock a BG right off of the crapper no matter how far away from the bathroom window I am.

If one of them ends up looking like its worth purchasing, I actually may go out and buy one of these setups as a Christmas present to myself. But as I have already purchased enough guns, ammo and accessories this year to make my wife mad enough to shoot me with one (or all) of them, more than $500 is simply not going to happen this year.

So if you're going to tell me to spend more money, then go back to shooting fleas in the butthole at 2500 meters with your Anschutz 1780 and leave me in peace. I want to shoot fleas in the butthole from 2500 meters for less than $3499 and the last time I checked that's not a crime.

Again to recap:

Budget: $500
Goal: Accuracy and reliability past 1000 yards with good terminal ballistics.

List the cost of each if you have it.

NOTE: if there is a component that might move the purchase a little over budget, list it anyway just for conversations sake.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-09-2013 at 05:36 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #2

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/ Model 11/111 In 6.5 creedmoor. While it says $645.00 that is also the MSRP so it should be a little cheaper. Plus you can buy used

Old 10-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/ Model 11/111 In 6.5 creedmoor. While it says $645.00 that is also the MSRP so it should be a little cheaper. Plus you can buy used
Thanks for the link. The savage arms website is nice but I saw several different Model 11/111 listed and none of them that I saw was listed being chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I'm sure that's my fault and its on there. I probably missed it because I was pretty much just clicking through all 20 or so of their tabs trying to find the specific one you were talking about.

Is this a gun you own already or have shot or seen shot at some point? And is the $645 including an optic? If so what was the optic on it? Do you know what kind of ammo is available in that caliber and how well it performs? (I was hoping for a discussion on guns, calibers and optics more than a link to a manufacturers website. )

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

Old 10-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #4

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
Thanks for the link. The savage arms website is nice but I saw several different Model 11/111 listed and none of them that I saw was listed being chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I'm sure that's my fault and its on there. I probably missed it because I was pretty much just clicking through all 20 or so of their tabs trying to find the specific one you were talking about. Is this a gun you own already or have shot or seen shot at some point? And is the $645 including an optic? If so what was the optic on it? Do you know what kind of ammo is available in that caliber and how well it performs? (I was hoping for a discussion on guns, calibers and optics more than a link to a manufacturers website. )
It's the Trophy Hunter XP. It comes with with a Nikon 3-9x40 and yes it's included in the price. I have not shot the 11/111 in a 6.5 but I have in a 30-06 and used to own a Model 10 in .308. The 6.5 diameter bullets are known for their extended range performance in general. I just picked the creedmoor since it can fit in an AR lower. I'm sure JPatterson or someone more versed in bullet coefficients than I am can elaborate further
Old 10-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5468 Times on 2855 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Mosin 91/30 pu sniper model. Been geting it done for 70 years.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 10-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #6

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

For a long time the .308 was preferred by military and police for snipering. However, COLDdeadFINGERS (member on this forum) pointed out that they shifted to the .300 Win mag about 2009 or 2011 for better distance and accuracy. See the thread below.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/deer-rifle-up-300-yards-96288/index2.html

Trying to fill this order with a budget of $500.00 might be difficult.

http://www.snipercentral.com/caliber.htm

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2011/09/27/longest-sniper-shots-in-history/

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 10-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1939 Times on 1008 Posts
Likes Given: 374

find a little old lady selling her deceased husbands' Barrett 50 cal - that would get it done

Old 10-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #8

Liked 2076 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 445

We could expand a bit on the two suggestions that have already been given.

The Savage rifles make a good base to work with. The 11/111 or a used model 10 or 110 in .30-06 is capable of what you are asking. The chambering in a 6.5 Creedmore or .260 Remington could give some flatter trajectories, but doing a rebarrel on your budget may not be a. Immediate option. Sticking with an available caliber may be more "budget wise". .30-06, .270, .300 WinMag, 7mm mag are all fairly common chamberings and are capable of reaching 1000 meters and still being lethal. ( I'm guessing your 2500 meter statements were a bit if an exaggeration).

The Mosin platform is capable of getting the job done, but to do it reliably you would need to have a proven rifle just about hand picked and available ammo can be a limiting factor. The Vintage optics again are capable but not the easiest to use nowadays at extended long ranges. To have a better chance of finding an accurate rifle in this category I would recommend checking the Finnish versions which had more consistent QA and barrels from rifle to rifle.
Back to the ammo, the kind of accuracy you are looking for is not likely to be found consistently out of the widely available surplus ammo. There are "sniper" and "match" rounds out there that are better than most, but not quite as common. The cartridge itself is pushing itself for precision at 1000 meter or beyond. At 1300 yds it is going transonic and energy is below 400 ft/lbs. So, it meets your criteria to that distance with Sniper 7n1 loads. After the round drops back through the sound barrier your accuracy will become less predictable so the fleas bunger may be in less danger past that.

Either of the above platforms would likely require hand loading as well as some DIY improvements, and a lot of long range practice, to get what you are asking accuracy wise. Once the platforms are capable it is about the nut behind the butt to get the rest of the hit potential out if it.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #9

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I have zero suggestions for you sir, but I love the thread! I think this is a great topic for some of us that don't have 3000 to spend on a rig.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter is right in that price range. I even saw one already chambered in 6.5 creedmoor up on gunbroker.

I saw Mosin's all day for about $170 but when I specified the Mosin 91/30 pu sniper model the price jumped to $400-$799. I like these options. Keep them coming, I'd love to see some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell
I have zero suggestions for you sir, but I love the thread! I think this is a great topic for some of us that don't have 3000 to spend on a rig.
I'm glad you love the idea. I am a sick puppy right now. I've got another carry gun to buy for the wife, another carry gun I want to buy for me, I'm seriously tempted to sell/swap my Glock 22 for a Glock 19, and I want an AR in a bigger caliber.

And after the brother in law bought a Remington 700 in 7mm mag for $300 and started bragging about his $300 deer rifle that could take accurate shots out past 1000 yards (it felt like a cheap piece of plastic to me and I think on some level he knows that) I want a good (really good) long range gun that is not a cheap piece of plastic. Then I want to take him out to the rifle range and own him. The owning will be much more satisfactory if I didn't pay $3000 for the rifle.

Since there are so many purchases on the horizon the $500 mark seems to be a safe place for me to aim. It also seems to be a typical budget for others on here, but I've seen it met with a lot of "you can't buy quality for $500" in the short while I've been here. Heck I've seen people claim you can't buy a decent scope for under $500 much less a whole setup.

So I'm hoping to see a set of good budget guns and optics come out of this discussion that will actually help people.

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-09-2013 at 03:33 PM.