Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > If semi auto rifles didnt exsist which rifle would you take to battle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #61
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17041 Times on 9853 Posts
Likes Given: 44273

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
Longest confirmed kills with a sniper rifle was against an afghan Taliban machine gun team at 2707 meters with a 338 lm two kills and disabled the machine gun as for match grade ammo when I was in in our Barrett we had to use delinked m2 ammo we never were issued match grade ammo for it albeit we only used it to shoot ieds from a distance also another factor is weight the Barrett is a heavy bitch and ammo is even more heavy
i guess ballistics are unimportant? you might want to do some reading up on ballistics.

http://www.hornady.com/store/50-BMG-750-gr-A-MAX-Match/

http://www.hornady.com/store/338-Lapua-285-GR-BTHP-MATCH/

simple physics are hard to ignore.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #62

Liked 625 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
I would choose a mossberg mvp since it can use any ar15 magazine including drum mags.
Your mag would not exist!!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #63

Liked 625 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
I would choose a mossberg mvp since it can use any ar15 magazine including drum mags.
Again, no AR, no mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
What else a Mossberg mvp !.............Shoot all day without reloading.
See above

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt View Post
Savage 110 BA in 338 Lapua...........
BS. I'll be within 400 yards of you before you stop day dreaming.

Quote:
I'm with you in caliber but I'd probably go with either the model700 or an accuracy international
See above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
The OP didnt say the dont exist, just banned. I also heard at one time chemiical weapons were banned, soooooooooooooooo...................
See Title! He had a momentary laps of reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
and I never signed that treaty accord, so im safe, right?

No
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I would want a Remington 760 in 30-06. That is a pump gun. Very quick.
A good choice! Not for me, but a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
SMLE .303........................10 shot mag, battle sights to 2000yds(not that I could hit anything that far but.....) and just a hit on the mag release and slap another 10 shot mag in. 4 or 5 blokes with these and you can put down a very impressive field of fire and as back up a couple of K98's..
The mag was removable for cleaning only. Decent choice, uninformed

Modern day rifles probably something like a Colt in .308. Had a few shots out of 1 of these on the weekend and they're a sweet bit of gear plus the other toy I had a few shots out of was a Steyr in .50 cal NOW that is a real attitude adjustment device but at around 14kg's it's a sit back and drop them at 500yds+.
It was punching holes through steel rail line bedding plates at 300yds like a hot knife through butter with 650gn loads.
OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Those guys with the funny helmets and 98 Mausers lost two World Wars. Maybe the 1903-A3 would be a better choice.
The 1903 was a copy of the rifle the guys w/ the funny helmets used

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
It only takes one dent in a thin magazine tube to shut down a 30-30 lever gun. Sand or mud under the loading gate its over. Winchester, Marlin and Savage tried many times to sell the lever guns to the government. The conventional magazine for use with a stripper made the Winchester Mdl. 95 a Military Musket for a short time. Many countries including Russia issued the old 95'.
The '95 is a gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertusa123 View Post
my 1903 had a bayonet cant put that on a winchester. 1903 vs 1903 a3
both work the same both send 30-06 rounds down range sights different milled parts vs stamped parts
The 1895 made for the Csar had one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
Not one I own but it would be a Browning BLR in .308.
Just an abusive rifle. Wanted one all my later life, bought a '81 Steel receiver in .308. It was nasty to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Really is a shame that they are so short sighted now isn't it? I wonder if any of the current group of BS spewing morons in power even understand why Japan invaded th Alutian Islands instead of the mainland. Something about a rifle behind every blade of grass if I remember right.
It was a deversion for Midway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
I may have missed it, if anyone chose a Barrett .50 BMG cal sniper rifle, bolt-action. It would go a long way to keep the heads of a lot of you guys down, especially a guy packing a shotgun. There are a whole bunch of dead Afghan's and Iraqi's to back that statement up.
See above.

Quote:
338 lapua magnum has more reach and much more accuracy than 50 bmg also the 50 doesn't have a lot of match grade ammo available that's why our guys just delink 50 from m2 ammo and use it and 338 has nothing but match grade available
You miss the point. The .50BMG round or .338 Lapua are great at distance. For even a hunter w/ an open sight rifle, an inexperianced shooter is overmatched. There is so much put on a cartridge without thought if the shooter can do anything with it.

I'd take a M38 Swede or K98 Low Turret sniper. I have both. Open sight Swede, 200 yards, K98, I'm not saying. If you really want a great rifle, Soviet PU 91/30. Same as K98 it has the ability to use irons, but w/ a better sight picture. Got that also. Have a .308HB that is awesome, but no irons.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 09-25-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 132 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 132

1. Ruger Gunsite
2. 03A3
3. Enfield Jungle Carbine

Old 09-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3703 Times on 2278 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter
338 lapua magnum has more reach and much more accuracy than 50 bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter
Longest confirmed kills with a sniper rifle was against an afghan Taliban machine gun team at 2707 meters with a 338 lm two kills and disabled the machine gun
The longest confirmed kill is a matter of circumstance. All that proves is that the marksman with the longest confirmed kill HAPPENED to have the .338 and not the .50 BMG. If he had HAPPENED to have the 50, the longest confirmed kill would be with that weapon system.

The 50 BMG is primarily an anti-equipment weapon, because it is so much more powerful than the .338. It can put holes in things the .338 can't. Its purpose and size means most designated marksmen or scout snipers don't lug it around as an anti-personnel weapon. Thus why the longest confirmed kill is with a .338 (I don't actually know that it is. I'm taking what you're saying at face-value because I don't feel like looking it up).

Again, just because the longest confirmed kill HAPPENS to be with a .338, doesn't mean it has more "reach" and is much more accurate than the .50, as you say.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1306 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

This guy is sort of a local hero around here. He used a .50:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Furlong

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #67
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17041 Times on 9853 Posts
Likes Given: 44273

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
The longest confirmed kill is a matter of circumstance. All that proves is that the marksman with the longest confirmed kill HAPPENED to have the .338 and not the .50 BMG. If he had HAPPENED to have the 50, the longest confirmed kill would be with that weapon system.

The 50 BMG is primarily an anti-equipment weapon, because it is so much more powerful than the .338. It can put holes in things the .338 can't. Its purpose and size means most designated marksmen or scout snipers don't lug it around as an anti-personnel weapon. Thus why the longest confirmed kill is with a .338 (I don't actually know that it is. I'm taking what you're saying at face-value because I don't feel like looking it up).

Again, just because the longest confirmed kill HAPPENS to be with a .338, doesn't mean it has more "reach" and is much more accurate than the .50, as you say.
well said JW.

have to consider the ballistics difference in the 338 LM to the 50 BMG round. the 338 with a bullet weight of about 250-300 gr. bullets, caompared to the 50 with 650-850 gr. bullets. the 50 bleeds off less velocity than the 338, so it's trajectory stays much flatter with more energy at longer distances.

here's a link to some of the longest confirmed sniper kills with the weapons used and the caliber used. yes the 338 LM does have the longest "confirmed" but look right under the distance and see what the next longest confirmed shot is from, a 50 BMG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills
Old 09-25-2013, 03:25 AM   #68

Liked 217 Times on 153 Posts

A Remington 7600 in. 308 Win. with ghost ring sites, a choate pistol grip buttstock, with some 10 round magazines.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #69

Liked 194 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I'd use whatever the enemy was using after I cut his throat.

Jim

Old 09-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #70

Liked 80 Times on 63 Posts

I said just semi autos were banned not the mags there will be plent of ar mags even if there is a ban! xD