Ideas on how to convert a straight bolt Mauser 98k to curved bolt (sniper bolt) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ideas on how to convert a straight bolt Mauser 98k to curved bolt (sniper bolt)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
303tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,952
Liked 1338 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Default

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/718920B.htm
__________________

When all else fails.

303tom is offline  
orangello Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Saint Louis,Missouri
Posts: 64
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I didn't say that any of them had a straight or curved handle. I said that a Browning bolt would fit the rifle. And it WILL !! I have replaced several Mauser bolts with Browning bolts---after all there the same thing. Using the Browning bolt is a LOT easier and looks better than about 90% of the blacksmith jobs that I have seen done and thats a fact !!

__________________
Vearl Brown is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,097
Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vearl Brown View Post
I didn't say that any of them had a straight or curved handle. I said that a Browning bolt would fit the rifle. And it WILL !! I have replaced several Mauser bolts with Browning bolts---after all there the same thing. Using the Browning bolt is a LOT easier and looks better than about 90% of the blacksmith jobs that I have seen done and thats a fact !!
Hey Vearl, I don't think anyone took a shot at you, it was intended for the OP and the term Sniper bolt. Now on a side note, why would a Browning bolt fit?? I know the answer and I ain't giving it up.
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Saint Louis,Missouri
Posts: 64
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Why would a Browning bolt fit ?? Because the Belgium made Browning rifles are built on the 98 Mauser receivers. SAME fits SAME !!! If you use one you would probably have to alter the receiver to let the bolt close but they DO fit and work. I have done this with several rifles myself. MOST of the time even the head space will be OK. Vearl

__________________
Vearl Brown is offline  
jpattersonnh Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,097
Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vearl Brown View Post
Why would a Browning bolt fit ?? Because the Belgium made Browning rifles are built on the 98 Mauser receivers. SAME fits SAME !!! If you use one you would probably have to alter the receiver to let the bolt close but they DO fit and work. I have done this with several rifles myself. MOST of the time even the head space will be OK. Vearl
Give that man a cupie doll. FN made brownings were identical to FN ,98 Mausers. The bolt shroud and safety changed a bit over time, but they are the same dimensions. There are a few other manufacturers that FN made rifles for that the same holds true.
__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Saint Louis,Missouri
Posts: 64
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I was a gunsmith for BrowninG for 38 years ant these rifles were one of the "gun's" that I worked on. Chances are that I have worked on and shot more of these rifles than you have even seen. But then that's only MY opinion !!! The standard bolt even works in the short action Belgium .243 & .308 but that's just for your information !!

__________________
Vearl Brown is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:53 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

there is cut and weld (make sure to keep the bolt body as cool as possible its heat trated)

cut and tap and bolt on funky conversion handle

buy jig from midway/brownells and head and hammer forge it over

cut and tap kit http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-charging-handles/98-mauser-conversion-bolt-handle-prod76.aspx

weld/forge tools http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bolt-tools/bolt-welding-forging-tools/index.htm this page is broken somehow if you cut paste the name in the search it takes you to the items tho

__________________
nulreference is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 45
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Or you could send it off to this guy. I don't work for him or have ever used him but the price looks right.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bolt-Handle-Forging-SERVICE-on-YOUR-98-Mauser-Bolt-/141118234321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20db4d 5ed1

__________________
smarquez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
wittmeba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The state for Lovers
Posts: 1,097
Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Default

A little that might help:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12842/guntechdetail/Bending_Mauser_Bolt_Handles

I removed mine and polished it with a Dremel and it came out really nice, but it eventually burned up the motor. Just too heavy handed. The Dremel was brand new too

__________________
NRA Member - Over 5,000,000 strong!
Criminals don't discriminate. They will attack anywhere!

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 11-18-2013 at 04:25 AM.
wittmeba is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulreference View Post
there is cut and weld (make sure to keep the bolt body as cool as possible its heat trated)

cut and tap and bolt on funky conversion handle

buy jig from midway/brownells and head and hammer forge it over

cut and tap kit http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-charging-handles/98-mauser-conversion-bolt-handle-prod76.aspx

weld/forge tools http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bolt-tools/bolt-welding-forging-tools/index.htm this page is broken somehow if you cut paste the name in the search it takes you to the items tho
the cut and tap methods look tacky and bubbafied. the tools for doing just one are not cost effective.

best suggestion is to find a compentent gunsmith or machine shop if you are only doing one bolt handle.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Mauser Bolt Problem-Please help, bolt does not go back in! vikingxj General Rifle Discussion 15 11-27-2012 10:00 PM
Mauser CZ 7.92x57 bolt disassembly? jeanp1948 General Rifle Discussion 6 05-05-2011 04:02 AM
How to make an auto bolt release for the Ruger 10/22 (using the factory bolt hold ope Impartial DIY Projects 0 03-31-2011 11:29 PM
Steyr Straight Pull Bolt Carbine, 8x56r? Joshua M. Smith General Rifle Discussion 3 09-23-2010 02:09 PM
Help with bolt disassembly/re-assembly for Mauser? kmullins General Rifle Discussion 8 11-05-2008 06:04 AM