Ideas on how to convert a straight bolt Mauser 98k to curved bolt (sniper bolt) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Ideas on how to convert a straight bolt Mauser 98k to curved bolt (sniper bolt)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1338 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/718920B.htm

When all else fails.

orangello Likes This 
Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I didn't say that any of them had a straight or curved handle. I said that a Browning bolt would fit the rifle. And it WILL !! I have replaced several Mauser bolts with Browning bolts---after all there the same thing. Using the Browning bolt is a LOT easier and looks better than about 90% of the blacksmith jobs that I have seen done and thats a fact !!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #13

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vearl Brown View Post
I didn't say that any of them had a straight or curved handle. I said that a Browning bolt would fit the rifle. And it WILL !! I have replaced several Mauser bolts with Browning bolts---after all there the same thing. Using the Browning bolt is a LOT easier and looks better than about 90% of the blacksmith jobs that I have seen done and thats a fact !!
Hey Vearl, I don't think anyone took a shot at you, it was intended for the OP and the term Sniper bolt. Now on a side note, why would a Browning bolt fit?? I know the answer and I ain't giving it up.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Why would a Browning bolt fit ?? Because the Belgium made Browning rifles are built on the 98 Mauser receivers. SAME fits SAME !!! If you use one you would probably have to alter the receiver to let the bolt close but they DO fit and work. I have done this with several rifles myself. MOST of the time even the head space will be OK. Vearl

Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #15

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vearl Brown View Post
Why would a Browning bolt fit ?? Because the Belgium made Browning rifles are built on the 98 Mauser receivers. SAME fits SAME !!! If you use one you would probably have to alter the receiver to let the bolt close but they DO fit and work. I have done this with several rifles myself. MOST of the time even the head space will be OK. Vearl
Give that man a cupie doll. FN made brownings were identical to FN ,98 Mausers. The bolt shroud and safety changed a bit over time, but they are the same dimensions. There are a few other manufacturers that FN made rifles for that the same holds true.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I was a gunsmith for BrowninG for 38 years ant these rifles were one of the "gun's" that I worked on. Chances are that I have worked on and shot more of these rifles than you have even seen. But then that's only MY opinion !!! The standard bolt even works in the short action Belgium .243 & .308 but that's just for your information !!

Old 11-15-2013, 02:53 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

there is cut and weld (make sure to keep the bolt body as cool as possible its heat trated)

cut and tap and bolt on funky conversion handle

buy jig from midway/brownells and head and hammer forge it over

cut and tap kit http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-charging-handles/98-mauser-conversion-bolt-handle-prod76.aspx

weld/forge tools http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bolt-tools/bolt-welding-forging-tools/index.htm this page is broken somehow if you cut paste the name in the search it takes you to the items tho

Old 11-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Or you could send it off to this guy. I don't work for him or have ever used him but the price looks right.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bolt-Handle-Forging-SERVICE-on-YOUR-98-Mauser-Bolt-/141118234321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20db4d 5ed1

Old 11-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #19

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

A little that might help:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12842/guntechdetail/Bending_Mauser_Bolt_Handles

I removed mine and polished it with a Dremel and it came out really nice, but it eventually burned up the motor. Just too heavy handed. The Dremel was brand new too

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 11-18-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 05:18 AM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulreference View Post
there is cut and weld (make sure to keep the bolt body as cool as possible its heat trated)

cut and tap and bolt on funky conversion handle

buy jig from midway/brownells and head and hammer forge it over

cut and tap kit http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-charging-handles/98-mauser-conversion-bolt-handle-prod76.aspx

weld/forge tools http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bolt-tools/bolt-welding-forging-tools/index.htm this page is broken somehow if you cut paste the name in the search it takes you to the items tho
the cut and tap methods look tacky and bubbafied. the tools for doing just one are not cost effective.

best suggestion is to find a compentent gunsmith or machine shop if you are only doing one bolt handle.