ID this rifle if you can - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > ID this rifle if you can

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm trying to get the info for the new owner, who is likely wanting to sell it. I'll take all this and put it together and let him know what it is, or what is was prior to all the customizations.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9566 Times on 4116 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

To the excellent answers above, I can only add that BOHLER STAHL was the designation of a very high grade of German steel used for rifle barrels.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6622 Times on 3690 Posts
Likes Given: 6293

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
To the excellent answers above, I can only add that BOHLER STAHL was the designation of a very high grade of German steel used for rifle barrels.
Yes. Bohler is a steel company.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The more I look at the pics the less I think the stock is original.

The medallion on the side and the plates for the wedge are on the
surface---an original would probably have them inletted flush.

The shape of the stock just doesn't look right for a hundred+
year old european stock.

It might be original wood, but someone has spent considerable time
tarting it up, and not in a good way.

Still a fantastic piece of work on the metal parts

Old 02-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
The more I look at the pics the less I think the stock is original.

The medallion on the side and the plates for the wedge are on the
surface---an original would probably have them inletted flush.

The shape of the stock just doesn't look right for a hundred+
year old european stock.

It might be original wood, but someone has spent considerable time
tarting it up, and not in a good way.

Still a fantastic piece of work on the metal parts
Anything could be possible. The sad thing is, the one person who knew is no longer living, thus we may never know the real story. I know that it was considered his "project" gun. We do know that he refinished the stock.....perhaps he sanded it down to much where the medallions are, seeing as they do have a slightly countersunk appearance. Of course, simply finding a more original stock and putting the barrel on it may work. Who knows. I'm supposed to catch up with my buddies dad who has them this week to give him some values on all the stuff he inherited. Maybe I'll get him to leave that one here so I can do some more in depth research on it. The old man left him some great stuff. Here's what I had written down:

Remington 870 Express Magnum with second barrel 12ga
Remington 870 Express 12ga
Remington 550-1 .22 with original scope
Interarms .22 ATD
Mossburg 835 Ulti-Mag with second barrel 12 ga
Remington 760 30.06 Pump action
Winchester 1200 12ga
A little H&R .32 revolver
A Colt Dragoon copy from the 1950's
A S&W .38 Revolver from 1988--looks like the early tries into the works of concealing the hammer for pocket carry smoothness. I think it's a model 49. Nickel plated nice wood grips. Never been fired. Stored in a little padded case since new. I checked it out and it's got that new, crisp action and the rounds that are in it look like they were put in it the day it was bought, and never thought about thereafter.

He got a nice collection either way. He's hell bent on paying me for aiding him in values and perhaps sale of a couple of them, but I was like it's no big deal, I just like to get to see the collections of others. That's payment enough for me.

There were a couple more I didn't write down as he wasn't interested in selling.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #16

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Ask for the rifle in exchange for your services.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Ask for the rifle in exchange for your services.
Heh. I didn't intend on getting anything. I just like seeing it all. But he did tell me his dad would probably do something like tell me to pick one. I wouldn't pick the rifle, it's likely the most valuable one there. But I'd take one of those 870's for sure

Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2412 Times on 1305 Posts
Likes Given: 695

The Gewehr 88 was based on the Mannlicher and Mauser actions, mostly Mannlicher. The safety has been changed along with the addition of the double set triggers. Obviously not a standard barrel for an 88. The stock looks to be very well fit but there is a lot of proud metal indicating it was heavily sanded when it was refinished. That refinish took away a lot of any value it had. Unless the barrel is shot out which I doubt, leave it alone. It will require hand loading once you find out the correct cartridge and a supply of brass. Hopefully the brass can be made from an existing cartridge. It is a very nice old gun. Leave it that way.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #19

Liked 750 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

I'm not sure the stock is sanded at all. On many custom guns of that era, the medalions are on the surface, not inletted. If the sides of the ornamentation are rounded, it would be correct. I have a guy in Austria that could ID it and have a mount made for it. Go over to K98k.com, Robert is the man when it comes to mounts. It is his forum. Bet he would want to buy it. http://www.k98k.com/forum/index.php
Another sight to check:
http://forums.gunboards.com/forum.php

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The Gewehr 88 was based on the Mannlicher and Mauser actions, mostly Mannlicher. The safety has been changed along with the addition of the double set triggers. Obviously not a standard barrel for an 88. The stock looks to be very well fit but there is a lot of proud metal indicating it was heavily sanded when it was refinished. That refinish took away a lot of any value it had. Unless the barrel is shot out which I doubt, leave it alone. It will require hand loading once you find out the correct cartridge and a supply of brass. Hopefully the brass can be made from an existing cartridge. It is a very nice old gun. Leave it that way.
I gotta say here, I don't think the metal has been refinished. I saw it in person, and handled it. There was no indication to me that any modification had been made to the barrel. It has some light surface rust, mostly just a aged patina look. I do not believe that he modified it. His work was far from high quality on the stock, and I'd imagine that if he attempted the metal work it would show.