ID this rifle if you can
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > ID this rifle if you can

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default ID this rifle if you can

This rifle comes from a collection of a friend of mines grandfather. He passed away leaving my buddies dad a quite hefty collection of shotguns, with a few odd balls. This one, we are to assume, was a project of the old man. The stock has been "painted" in a bronze wood type color. The barrel appears to be the original finish. There are several marks on the barrel, nothing I found to aid me in what it is. But given the odd trigger guard, and the fact it has 2 triggers and one barrel, I figure maybe someone has seen such before. Here's a few shots I have. I have no others available at this time.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't even know what caliber it is, though from the size it appears to have some beef to it.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 451 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 153

It's a WWI Mauser...see this link: http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=5489898

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
except the Mauser had a round barrel and one trigger. Though I see the maker name can be the same.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #4

Liked 2378 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Two triggers could be one is a "set" trigger.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1181 Times on 758 Posts
Likes Given: 2302

My guess would be a WWI Mauser that was sporterized after the War by a custom gun maker. Double triggers would have been added along with what I assume are quick detach mounts for a scope. There should be a really nice set of custom rings somewhere to go with those mounts?

Very nice rifle!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Mannlicher action custom builder. Double set triggers. Pull the back one to set and the front trigger fires. Turns it into a hair trigger. Normal trigger if you dont set it. Mounts on the receiver are for a claw type scope rings. Caliber would be guesswork. Slug the bore or have a chamber cast done. The forward bolt handle and open rear receiver is typical of Mannlicher.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #7

Liked 710 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 227

It is a custom rifle. So no one is going to say "Oh, thats a model 78, I had one just like it." Custom means custom. I'm sure the builder bought the action and made the rest. Too bad he put those ugly mounts on there. Yes, I know those mounts are fairly common over there. Get a chamber cast and go out to the range with that thing!

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #8

Liked 700 Times on 480 Posts
Likes Given: 719

After WWI germans still made great rifles, but not in 8x57. Suhl is a great rifle, it is a a Mauser action that has been heavily modified. The offset claw mount is very interesting, I've never seen one. 2,75 usually is the cartridge or case length, most were 11mm rifles. 1st could be 11mm Belgian Comblain The other choices are limitless. .45-70 is an 11mm.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #9

Liked 700 Times on 480 Posts
Likes Given: 719

Dug up more info. In Suhl Many Commision 88 rifles (guild) were built for sporting purposes. You do have a '88 style rifle. The average manufacture date is 1896. It should have the date stamped on it.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 204 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 12

It's a custom gun.

Built by CG Haenel They have been building guns since 1840.

Suhl Germany is the city where CG Haenel is located

The rifle is based on a Mauser 1888 Commission rifle, with LOTS
of custom additions and refinements.

Good luck finding the scope mount that fits it---they were pretty
much custom built to the gun.

Caliber---no guess. Have a chamber cast done and start measuring.

I'll bet that under that copper paint there is a REALLY nice piece
of wood.