Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   I won a new rifle or shotgun! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/i-won-new-rifle-shotgun-55477/)

amoroque 01-14-2012 01:50 PM

I won a new rifle or shotgun!

So.........I guess that Friday the 13th turned out to be pretty lucky!
last night I was notified that I am the winner of a local raffle and now I get the choice of a new rifle or shotgun.

I can either choose a:
Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 (hunting rifle)
or
Weatherby SA-08

If I choose the rifle I can pick a caliber. The ones I can choose from are:
.223, .22-250, .240, .243, .25-06, .270, 7mm-08, .30-06, .257, .270, 7mm, .300, .338

If I choose the shotgun, I can either choose a 20 gauge or 12 gauge.

What do you think I should choose??

Gatoragn 01-14-2012 02:34 PM

I would take the 7mm:08, but it is up to you. Can't go wrong with any really.

TLuker 01-14-2012 03:16 PM

For some reason that just ruined my day? It's like hearing about the person that won the lottery right after you bought your tickets.:confused:

Seriously though, congratulations. And pick the rifle. I would also suggest you get one of the odd calibers (unless you just happen to need one of the standard calibers). Its a once in a life time free rifle. The standard calibers are all practical but this is free so there's no need to be practical. Try something you wouldn't ever buy if you had to put your own money down.

orangello 01-14-2012 03:20 PM

Congratulations!

What, no .308? ;) Of course, you won't need to scope the shotty.

robocop10mm 01-14-2012 03:20 PM

What kind of use with this firearm see? Are you a hunter? What do you hunt? Are you in need of an elk rifle .338 It depends on what you want to do with it. Kind of like asking " I won a Ford, I can choose between a Taurus and an F-150, what engine and trim package should I get? Depends on what you want to do with it.

jpattersonnh 01-14-2012 03:24 PM

Congratulation!

Simple, do you bird hunt?
If not get a rifle.
Do you hunt the mountians or the plains/ foothills?
Do you reload?

I would think about the .257 Roberts.

firedawg60 01-14-2012 03:45 PM

Man, I couldn't win something like that if I had a million bucks!! Congrats on the win and get what ya want!

BudW 01-14-2012 03:53 PM

338 would be nice

Triumphman 01-14-2012 03:57 PM

What a lucky man. As to choosing, it depends on what you're really into as to hunting, target, or both. For hunting birds I would pick the 20ga over the 12 as the new 20 gauges are just as potent with the new ammo being put out, and you don't have as much recoil. I use a Rem 20ga Xpress for my turkey and other bird hunts, and it puts meat on table just as well as a 12ga.
DOES EITHER SHOTGUN, come in a 3-1/2" magnum chamber? This would be my choice in selection(for keeping or resale value) in being able to use any ammo made. As to a rifle, you have a great choice, for target I would choose the 223, 22-250 or 243. For hunting you need to select what you mostly hunt, as to small game(groundhogs,P-dogs, small deer) you have the 223, 22-250, 243. For big game up to Moose, you have the trusty ole 30-06, 270, and 300mag. I chose these calibers because of ease in finding ammo on any shelf. Nothing wrong with 7-08, 338, 7mm but in some areas of country, you won't find these rounds as readily available. Also some parts of Country, State or County, require a minimum of caliber size for whatever game you're going after. The 240 and 257 is a Weatherby priority caliber ammo and is expensive on the pocketbook, BUT a lot of people really like these calibers and they will put a deer or bear down quickly, and some people use the 257 on Elk or mountain sheep with good results and at great distances. However a 7mm, 270, 300mag, and 30-06 will/can reach out too, when properly set up with the right scope, and the ammo is much cheaper. As to a 25-06 or a 7-08 I don't know these rounds, so have no experience with them, but lots of hunters use these calibers for deer hunts and have been very effective. I'm surprised they didn't also offer a 308 in this lot to choose from. I understand a lot of these rounds people like is just for the muzzle velocity or trajectory of round, but it takes more than speed or trajectory of round to be effective on game. You also need shock energy which the 338 will certainly give you, but it will also put a hurt on the pocketbook, but lots of folks like a big round like this in Bear, Moose, Mule deer Country and it has capability of reaching out long distance. The 300mag does also, at a cheaper ammo cost. Also lots of folks use a 22-250, 243, and 223 on Whitetail Deer, which have been effective, but you need to be more precise on your shots due their small projectiles and will destroy internals and not give exit wounds that bleed out, so larger animals will run for cover and distance. They have the velocity, but just not a lot of shock energy if bullet isn't placed in right spot on bigger game like Deer, but Deer are a funny creature, in that I've seem them killed DRT with a 22LR, and I've seem them shot with a 30-06 and run for 100yds with their lungs and heart destroyed. Start flipping a coin, and choose what rifle caliber you think you would be happy with, as you know better than us, as to what you would use it mostly for, and I've only given ya ideas. Of course if you choose a rifle, you're gonna need a good scope!!! Have Fun----I wish I had this problem.
Del

TimL2952 01-14-2012 05:19 PM

Do what my dad does lol. We're mostly a shotgun family but he won a Browning A-Bolt Titanium in .300 WSM....he just sold it at MSRP price which was ~$1,500 at the time....bought a New In Box Browning 525