I want to buy an AR-15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > I want to buy an AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 04:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I want to buy an AR-15

hi, im new to the site and I was hoping to get some input on AR-15's.
im looking to buy an AR15 and dont know what brand to buy. i know colt is the brand to get but i cant afford that. i was looking at several different brands like rock river LAR-15, smith and wesson m&p15, maybe even an armalite. i saw a AR15 a guy was selling at the gun show that had a spikes tactical lower receiver and bolt, i dont know what barrel. i dont know anything about these brands or even if the spikes tactical one i saw is good. i want a good reliable AR-15.

thanks for reading

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2011, 04:25 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Head to the AR-15 section of this forum and get yourself AReducated!

Welcome to the FTF!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:36 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

leirhiht, why don't you jump over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I personally like the Rock Rivers. Mine are hunting gun so I like flat tops with no forunt shights. My day time gun wears an old Vari X ll 3 x 9 Leupold and my nite guns has a lazer sight on it. Performance and accuracy are all you could ask for with the AR platform

Catfish
Ohio

Old 11-01-2011, 06:18 AM   #5

I have a DTI ar15 and I like it. Also got it at a decent price

Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #6

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Daniel defense, bushmaster, dpms, s&w, colt, rock river are all good guns. They just all depend on what you want them for and your budget as to which one would be best. Spike builds are what alot of guys do and its a very good idea to get Exactly what you want. Going that route can get kinda pricey though.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #7

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Daniel defense, bushmaster, dpms, s&w, colt, rock river are all good guns. They just all depend on what you want them for and your budget as to which one would be best.
+1

I have and shoot AR-15's from Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, LWRC, and Colt. All of them are good rifles that perform well. Don't get too caught up in all of this "Mil-Spec" stuff. While a Mil-Spec rifle that meets the TDP is good, it is not a requirement, or even necessary for 98% of AR-15 owners and shooters.

This is a good time to buy an AR-15. The market is quite literally flooded with them, and many dealers like Cabela's have frequent sales on many of the more popular brands and makes. Pick the rifle that best suits your budget and needs, and you should be fine.

For insurance it is a good idea to purchase a spare, complete bolt carrier group. 90% of what breaks in an AR-15 rifle is contained in the bolt carrier group. By having a spare along with you it can save a day at the range if anything should break like an extractor spring, extractor, bolt, or firing pin. Check Midway for complete bolt carrier groups. They sell all of the major brands at good prices, and ship quickly.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #8

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Don't forget Stag arms. A friend of mine just bought one and it's flawless. A little less money than most of the others but you get a great gun. Personally I have a Bushmaster but since they moved, they're customer service is in the toilet.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #9

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep
Don't forget Stag arms. A friend of mine just bought one and it's flawless. A little less money than most of the others but you get a great gun. Personally I have a Bushmaster but since they moved, they're customer service is in the toilet.
Ya stag is another very good weapon. As to bushmaster-ya the new ones kinda suck.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #10

Default which Ar?

I have a basic DPMS that I have added goodies to. it shoots great. I also have a
palmetto armory AR which is a much tighter construction than the DPMS. about the same money for either one.
I don't really think you can go wrong with either of these brands.