Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > I tried a Remington 770 today!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I tried a Remington 770 today!!

We've got a problem with bobcats getting after our goats and I don't have a rifle with a scope. I have my SKS, that is very accurate with open sights, but with my older eyes a thought a scope would be nice for once, and since my neighbor has a bunch of rifles, he loaned me one. I shot it at 50 yards (too hot to get out in the direct sun very long when it's over a 100 actual). Three shots at about 3/4 to 1". I was impressed. That's more accurate than I am! Anyone have any experience with one of these. The .243 was loud (my wife mentioned that), but the bolt operated smoothly and I had no problems. My former son-in-law borrowed a Howe (spelling) in .243 when he was here a couple of years ago and when he slammed the bolt home to chamber a cartridge, it would fire. I told him to unload it and take it back!! This one shot like a dream. Thanks for any info. I may try to trade him out of it.

Dave

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2010, 05:22 AM   #2

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Howa is generally consider a quality gun.

Per the 770- a better gun than the 710. But you can find a used 700 for the cost of a new 770. The only 770 I've ever handled was something that I picked up for a friend. Traded an assembled YHM lower for it. Felt infinitely better than the 710 I had when they first came out.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #3

barrow the 770 shoot the cats and give it back to the neighbor everyone will be happy

let no talents go unused

Old 07-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #4

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If you like it, get it!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The Remington model 770 is an "improved" version of the model 710. How much are you planning on shooting it? They won't hold up under extensive use IMO. There's much better rifles out there for the same price. Check out the Marlin XS-7, the Savage Edge,or the Stevens 200.Sorry but Remington has left a bitter taste to me after fixing/sending back several rifles of that type. I can't recommend it.

Didn't mean to rain on your parade but I've seen too many bad 1s. They're good for the occasional shooter. The 770 IS much better than the 710.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Last edited by stalkingbear; 07-18-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: addition

Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Didn't mean to rain on your parade but I've seen too many bad 1s. They're good for the occasional shooter.
I to have also had problems with them, major problems. I recommend the Marlin XS7 in 243 or 7mm-08. Excellent rifles.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfireart View Post
barrow the 770 shoot the cats and give it back to the neighbor everyone will be happy
Except the bobcats, of course.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.