Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > I spotted a left handed bolt action.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1765 Times on 984 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Default I spotted a left handed bolt action.

The wife told me we had some spending money if I wanted to go to Cabelas and look around. I wasnt going to argue with that. I was looking at all of the used rifles not finding anything of interest. Then I glanced down the row of bolt actions. I was standing to the left of the guns and could see all of the bolt handles. Then I noticed one was missing. I thought there must be something wrong with it. I picked it up and found that the bolt was on the other side. I almost had to sit down. I am left handed. I have never owned a left handed rifle. It was a savage 110 in 30-06. Nice wood stock with a variable power scope on it. $369.00. I had to buy it. I will pick it up in the morning. Had to wait on the background check. I have only shot a left handed rifle once. It was at hunter safety 2 years ago. Until then I had never cycled an action with the butt still against my shoulder. I know what I am doing after church tomorrow!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

texaswoodworker Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 322 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 112

From one lefty to another...you'll like it. I bought my Savage 110 30.06 "lefty" in 196?. I've knocked down more deer/elk over the years to put in the freezer with this rifle than any other. I can tell you what, it'll be the last one I ever part with. Enjoy it!

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 03-17-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Rick,It'll probably feel awkward at first but with some practice you'll love the LH bolt.
I have a bunch of LH rifles-All Savage's,but I still buy RH also. I can operate/shoot either way.

If you don't like it,let me know. I'd probably buy it from you just to have another LH action for another custom build.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #4

I have been flipping through my copy of "Modern Gun Values" this morning. The book is 3 years old. So I know any values in it are low. But there are so many 110 models I am not sure what it is. They range from $200-$725. Again 3 years old. All the lefties are worth more than the right hand models. I know it is not the $200 because it has no sights on it. I will take another look when I pick it up after church. I am buying it no matter what the model is.

Hey Kimerfan, is yours scoped or sights? Is it a 110 or is there a letter designation after it? I am trying to get an idea of how old it is. This one has a montecarlo stock with checkering on the grip. I dont think there was checkering on the forearm.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #5

Liked 902 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 561

You know, Savage makes a large number of LH Bolt Actions. For me, being LH, i actually prefer the RH Bolts. Most of my shooting is done prone, off a rest. Much more comfortable that way.......

Old 03-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #6

I have 12 rifles in my safe. All of them are right handed. Until I took that hunter ed class and fired that left handed 22, I did not no follow up shots could be that quick with a bolt action. I have been hunting with a Remington 770. Yea Yea P.O.S. I know. But anyway, if I needed a second shot with that Remington there was no way I would have time. I might as well carry a single shot.

I was actualy looking for a Reminton 760 when I spotted the Savage. The 760 is a pump gun. I have never seen a used left handed bolt action for sale. And I have been looking for a long time.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #7

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I'm right handed, but I like bolt handles on the left on semi-autos. I just like that I can cock it with my left hand, it feels more natural to me.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #8

Liked 902 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 561

If I am not mistaken, there is a greater number of LH people in the Northeast. If you go to the gun shops here, you will see LH guns. Used & new.

Also in the news: Apparently, the NE also has the highest concentration of double-pawed cats. AKA 4WD cats.....

Old 03-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1785 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

As a fellow left handed shooter congratulations on your purchase! I'm thinking of finally getting a LH bolt action for my collection.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6949 Times on 4180 Posts
Likes Given: 8353

Great find. Enjoy that left hand bolt action rifle. It'll probably feel like you've finally 'come home'.