Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   I spotted a left handed bolt action. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/i-spotted-left-handed-bolt-action-86727/)

Rick1967 03-17-2013 02:56 AM

I spotted a left handed bolt action.

The wife told me we had some spending money if I wanted to go to Cabelas and look around. I wasnt going to argue with that. I was looking at all of the used rifles not finding anything of interest. Then I glanced down the row of bolt actions. I was standing to the left of the guns and could see all of the bolt handles. Then I noticed one was missing. I thought there must be something wrong with it. I picked it up and found that the bolt was on the other side. I almost had to sit down. I am left handed. I have never owned a left handed rifle. It was a savage 110 in 30-06. Nice wood stock with a variable power scope on it. $369.00. I had to buy it. I will pick it up in the morning. Had to wait on the background check. I have only shot a left handed rifle once. It was at hunter safety 2 years ago. Until then I had never cycled an action with the butt still against my shoulder. I know what I am doing after church tomorrow!

KimberFan 03-17-2013 03:13 AM

From one lefty to another...you'll like it. I bought my Savage 110 30.06 "lefty" in 196?. I've knocked down more deer/elk over the years to put in the freezer with this rifle than any other. I can tell you what, it'll be the last one I ever part with. Enjoy it!

Txhillbilly 03-17-2013 03:45 AM

Rick,It'll probably feel awkward at first but with some practice you'll love the LH bolt.
I have a bunch of LH rifles-All Savage's,but I still buy RH also. I can operate/shoot either way.

If you don't like it,let me know. I'd probably buy it from you just to have another LH action for another custom build.

Rick1967 03-17-2013 02:44 PM

I have been flipping through my copy of "Modern Gun Values" this morning. The book is 3 years old. So I know any values in it are low. But there are so many 110 models I am not sure what it is. They range from $200-$725. Again 3 years old. All the lefties are worth more than the right hand models. I know it is not the $200 because it has no sights on it. I will take another look when I pick it up after church. I am buying it no matter what the model is.

Hey Kimerfan, is yours scoped or sights? Is it a 110 or is there a letter designation after it? I am trying to get an idea of how old it is. This one has a montecarlo stock with checkering on the grip. I dont think there was checkering on the forearm.

clr8ter 03-17-2013 02:53 PM

You know, Savage makes a large number of LH Bolt Actions. For me, being LH, i actually prefer the RH Bolts. Most of my shooting is done prone, off a rest. Much more comfortable that way.......

Rick1967 03-17-2013 03:11 PM

I have 12 rifles in my safe. All of them are right handed. Until I took that hunter ed class and fired that left handed 22, I did not no follow up shots could be that quick with a bolt action. I have been hunting with a Remington 770. Yea Yea P.O.S. I know. But anyway, if I needed a second shot with that Remington there was no way I would have time. I might as well carry a single shot.

I was actualy looking for a Reminton 760 when I spotted the Savage. The 760 is a pump gun. I have never seen a used left handed bolt action for sale. And I have been looking for a long time.

Gizord1 03-17-2013 03:20 PM

I'm right handed, but I like bolt handles on the left on semi-autos. I just like that I can cock it with my left hand, it feels more natural to me.

clr8ter 03-17-2013 03:53 PM

If I am not mistaken, there is a greater number of LH people in the Northeast. If you go to the gun shops here, you will see LH guns. Used & new.

Also in the news: Apparently, the NE also has the highest concentration of double-pawed cats. AKA 4WD cats.....

DFlynt 03-17-2013 03:58 PM

As a fellow left handed shooter congratulations on your purchase! I'm thinking of finally getting a LH bolt action for my collection.

winds-of-change 03-17-2013 03:59 PM

Great find. Enjoy that left hand bolt action rifle. It'll probably feel like you've finally 'come home'.