I need some advice - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > I need some advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I also saw a documentary on the 700's. They made it sound like a design flaw. Untampered guns and sniper rifles being operated by the trained going off by touching the bolt. On the same documentary, they interviewed the creator. He said it was flawed and needed to be fixed. Remington would not do it because of cost. Not arguing, just sharing what I saw.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub1686 View Post
I also saw a documentary on the 700's. They made it sound like a design flaw. Untampered guns and sniper rifles being operated by the trained going off by touching the bolt. On the same documentary, they interviewed the creator. He said it was flawed and needed to be fixed. Remington would not do it because of cost. Not arguing, just sharing what I saw.
i can't remember if it was NBC or CBS that did that documentary, but it was addressed by Remington and several independent gun experts and even the one they used on the documentary in another documentary. they could not get any of the said rifles to duplicate the problems that were said to exist. none would fire without pulling the trigger. the whole documentary was proved to be bogus. funny that the military and LE kept buying M700's and several PD's and the military issued orders that the triggers were not to be adjusted except by an armorer. another fact, is that most all the lawsuits when the rifles were tested by Remington and independent testers, they could never duplicate the problems, and the lawsuits were thrown out of court.

yes a M700 will fire without pulling the trigger when closing the bolt if the trigger isn't adjusted properly and the proper safety procedures are not followed. but that is not a fault of Remington or a design flaw of the M700, just the idiots who don't know what they are doing. i own many M700's in various calibers, ranging from made in the late 60's to current. i also adjust the triggers on mine, but also do the safety checks needed to make sure they function properly.

see what lies the mainstream media tells people about things. that they only tell part of the story and don't report all the facts.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscat89
Ok, I've hunted all my life and I've only had 3 deer rifles. Browning .243, browning .300 win mag, and browning .7mm o8. Ive been looking at new guns and I found a good deal on a remmington 700 30-06. Can anyone who knows anything about this gun help me out?
I'm not too famillar with the remmington 700
Last year I purchased 3 Remington 700 rifles ( a 30-06, a 308 with heavy barrel and a 300 win mag). All have the new X trigger. All shoot good and are limited only by the abilities of the shooter. If you go with the Savage spend the $100 extra and get the Accutrigger. I have never owned a Savage but reviews of people who do seem to be very positive- and they always tout the Accutrigger. That being said I love my 700s. If you want to save a few dollars you might consider the Ruger American Rifle. It has all the features of a Savage 111 (detachable mag, scooe bases, adjustable trigger) but at a cost of about that of a Savage Axis. I own 2 of the Ruger Americans and would definitely say I am completely satisfied with both.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #14

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Buy him a savage stevens 200 in 7-08 and redfield revolution 3-9 . For get the 3006. Then spend the extra to start a basic reloading set up. A basic lee kit is 109 bucks. Another 100 bucks and a basic setup is done.

Last edited by hardluk1; 03-20-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i can't remember if it was NBC or CBS that did that documentary, but it was addressed by Remington and several independent gun experts and even the one they used on the documentary in another documentary. they could not get any of the said rifles to duplicate the problems that were said to exist. none would fire without pulling the trigger. the whole documentary was proved to be bogus. funny that the military and LE kept buying M700's and several PD's and the military issued orders that the triggers were not to be adjusted except by an armorer. another fact, is that most all the lawsuits when the rifles were tested by Remington and independent testers, they could never duplicate the problems, and the lawsuits were thrown out of court.

yes a M700 will fire without pulling the trigger when closing the bolt if the trigger isn't adjusted properly and the proper safety procedures are not followed. but that is not a fault of Remington or a design flaw of the M700, just the idiots who don't know what they are doing. i own many M700's in various calibers, ranging from made in the late 60's to current. i also adjust the triggers on mine, but also do the safety checks needed to make sure they function properly.

see what lies the mainstream media tells people about things. that they only tell part of the story and don't report all the facts.
I believe you over media any day. They just want drama. I heard this bad press
from multiple sources when I was rifle shopping. I never heard this side of the story.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Just wanted to add one,not so small tidbit.Never take a Savage action out of its stock for cleaning(trigger group)and see what happens.They'll slam fire,meaning.....fire on bolt closing.Clean it once a year or so,YMMV.

Remington's trigger design,as I understand it,had a little too much "bean counter" influence.It's a long,not too boring read if you keep an open mind.You'll get a glimpse into the world of gun manufacturing.Lot's of decisions,lot's of "balancing acts".Heck,anybody can make an expensive gun....duh.The budget guns are where all the critical decisions/bets are made.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5740 Times on 3249 Posts
Likes Given: 5177

Get a Remington 700 and be done with it.

You'll never regret buying quality.

Winston Churchill
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #18

Liked 1084 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Quote:
Never take a Savage action out of its stock for cleaning(trigger group)and see what happens.They'll slam fire,meaning.....fire on bolt closing.Clean it once a year or so,YMMV.
How or why ?

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #19

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Mobile,can't honestly say for sure....but the SS models seem to be more prone to it?Just grit and dirt gets in the trigger group and apparently the sear dosen't reach full engagement?

Yes,everybody should clean their firearm...yada,yada.Well,I've got some hunting and "truck" guns that well,live a hard life.They've been dropped in rivers,sat out all night in rain,lived in real dirty/dusty environs....you know,hunting.

Being SS and plastic,have even been known to cool hot brrls with running water.Just saying,the triggers can and DO get funked up(technical term) and present a dangerous condition.Clean it and all is good.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheshop View Post
Mobile,can't honestly say for sure....but the SS models seem to be more prone to it?Just grit and dirt gets in the trigger group and apparently the sear dosen't reach full engagement?

Yes,everybody should clean their firearm...yada,yada.Well,I've got some hunting and "truck" guns that well,live a hard life.They've been dropped in rivers,sat out all night in rain,lived in real dirty/dusty environs....you know,hunting.

Being SS and plastic,have even been known to cool hot brrls with running water.Just saying,the triggers can and DO get funked up(technical term) and present a dangerous condition.Clean it and all is good.
your cleaning methods may need updating.

i have taken Savages apart for cleaning in the past as probably many others. i really am not sure how taking one out of the stock could cause a slam fire. really can't see how you could properly clean one without removing the action from the stock. and SS more prone to it? sorry that doesn't make any sense either.