I need to rant
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > I need to rant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I need to rant

Ok I am really annoyed and need to get it out. For the last few weeks I have been trying to decide what rifle to get. I originally was going to go with a savage 11 to hunt deer with after asking you guys advice about its quality etc.

Anyways I go to my closest gun shop( I live in Illinois...yes please do feel sorry for me) about 1.5 hours away and I see a used Remy 700 CDL in 300WSM. Now I know it is a expensive and powerful round but I loved the feel and build of this rifle. The wooden stock did it for me.I did not have a clue how much this rifle costs new and they were asking 850 for it.

So there I was drooling over it and the guy was giving me the hard sale. I asked would he drop the price or at least throw in some ammo. I got a big NO Way answer. My wife was with me and was in a hurry so I said I would return the next day ( yesterday). Like a kid I got on the web and tried to find out as much as I could about the Remington 700. The first thing I find out is I can get in new for 800-850 in various stores. Im thinking this cant be right or maybe I am looking at the wrong model.

So last night I go back to the store and confirm that it is the same rifle that is selling for 800-850 . The guy at the shop go checks this out and says "yeah it is 850 new but the one he was selling is almost like new so he is charging the same price as a new one". He basically was rude and couldnt care less.

Is it just me? am I missing something? No matter how good the condition it should be sold at a lower price of a new one. If this was not the closest gunstore I woudl tell him where top go and never go back again.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

There are a lot of bozo's working at gun shops. They're full of bad information, wrong information and are often gunslinger/ninja/special forces wannabe's. If you can, patronize another gun shop where you will be treated respectfully. You can also buy ammunition online.

Best of luck.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

When you know for sure that a gun dealer is trying to rip you, take your money elsewhere. Just because I want something real bad, I won't let some jerk stick it to me. There is a dealer just like that one less than 10 miles from here. Find a good dealer and give him your business.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:09 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It sounds like your average pawn shop around here.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Your right.

The CDL is the cream of the crop for the 700 Line.

Coming from a remmy fan boy. Save yourself some money and get a savage. Shoot just as good and cost a little less. Anything is better than that factory Remington Trigger.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would agree with Tango. And not just to bash Remmy's either.

And the .300WSM bro??

If you are hunting with it, great. If you punching targets, you might want to consider a different caliber that will give you a longer barrel life.

Not to mention a more common caliber would be cheaper on ammo - unless you are all set up for production reloading.

JD

Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #7

The term "customer service" seems to be a foreign concept in most of the retail gun sales businesses that I have visited lately. Perhaps demand is too good.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

With people like that working at gun shops I'm surprised they can sell much of anything. Was he just working there or was he the owner? It sounds like you need to frequent another gunshop to me.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8887 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

FWIW, if I meet ANY merchant that studied at the Bozo School of Business, I will not continue to reward him with my trade. He REALLY does not need my money.

If you go to auctionarms.com, and gunbroker.com, both have a "find a FFL" function on their home page. Enter your zip code, and it will pull up dealers that have registered there as willing to handle firearms transfers. MANY of them are stocking dealers. Find one you like.

Then look around the auctions. If you find a rifle that you like, from a seller with good prior feedback, buy it. Remember that in addition to the selling price, you WILL have shipping costs, and a dealer transfer fee. It gets shipped to your local dealer, you complete papework with him, pay him for the transfer, take yer rifle home.

If you are going to buy used, PAY for a used rifle.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies. OK well guess what 2 days ago I go on Gunbroker and i find the exact same rifle, just 6 months old, comes with hard case, scope, mounts, sling and 3 boxes of ammo. I got it all for 785 shipped. It was a from a guy in Arkansas and he was very polite and professional.

Im a happy camper now . It sure pays to shop around

Last edited by cobra22; 09-25-2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Wrong price