I need a good scope - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > I need a good scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
The term "good" has to be tempered with price. There are good $200.00 hunting scopes, there are good $30.00 rimfire scopes. Scopes can get as "good" as you have money to spend. Give us a price range and we can fix you up with a good scope in that range.
Don't really care too much about the price

Old 11-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #22

Liked 1662 Times on 991 Posts
Likes Given: 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalhero View Post
Don't really care too much about the price
If price was not an issue I would buy the Zeiss Hensoldt 6-24 x 72mm. I understand it is a "really good" scope!

For my 30.06 I have a slightly cheaper Nikon Buckmaster (around $200.00) which is "good enough" for me.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #23
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1268 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
You will want a Mil/Mil setup for distance shooting.

Nothing suggested yet will be adequate.

Bushnell Elite 6500 6-24x50 with the g2dmr reticle. Best buy for your dollars
A mil/mil works good,but I prefer a moa/moa scope.All of my Long Range rifles have moa/moa reticles/turrets. It all depends on what the shooter prefers.

tacticalhero,If you really want to shoot anywhere near 1k,you'll need some quality glass along with a scope that has enough elevation/windage adjustment and most scopes under $700-800 won't cut it.
My lower end LR scopes start around $750 and go up to ones in the $2k range. Yes there are guy's that do use cheaper equipment,but they rarely shoot well at distance.

The Sightron SIII or the Vortex Viper PST are what I would consider the lower end of Long Range scopes.After that it would step up to Nightforce and go to the really expensive ones like IOR Valdada,US Optics,Premiere,S&B,March,and a few others. Bushnell isn't even close.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6174 Times on 3249 Posts
Likes Given: 447

my preference is also for moa/moa reticles and adjustments. i personally think in inches feet yards not mils. i can DO mils in a pinch and with a calculator but its not a natural thought process for me.

anyway for longer range tasks great glass is a MUST and that sort of thing isnt cheap. you can do it with cheaper glass but it makes it harder, a lot harder. just general hunting and plinking just about anything that holds zero under recoil will do. to get the most your looking at least a nightforce or better.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-23-2012, 05:24 AM   #25

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

The Sightron SIII or the Vortex Viper PST are what I would consider the lower end of Long Range scopes.After that it would step up to Nightforce and go to the really expensive ones like IOR Valdada,US Optics,Premiere,S&B,March,and a few others. Bushnell isn't even close.
You might not consider Bushnell to be even close to the bottom end, but we've got ALOT of guys hitting out to 1400 with Bushnell glass.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #26

Ok thats great thank a ton everyone! And a sales rep. was pulling me towards a Swarovski. R those scopes any good?

Old 11-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #27
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1268 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalhero View Post
Ok thats great thank a ton everyone! And a sales rep. was pulling me towards a Swarovski. R those scopes any good?
Swarovski's are fantastic scopes,but for long range,I'd choose a scope for that purpose.Swarovski scopes are really designed for hunting more than long range work,but they have unbelievable glass in them.
I have an older 4-16x50 Pro Hunter,the Z6 series replaced it.

If your wanting to spend that much on optics,look at the Nightforce scopes.They will do everything you want/need.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

It kind of goes along with you. What are you going to use it for, how often. how do you want it to preform and so on. You are going to get as many opinions as there are people who are willing to answer you question. You you got a great rifle and it will only preform as good as the complete set up is. DON'T put a piece of crap on a good rifle. I have shot thousands of rifles with hundreds of scopes. So what do I use on mine ?? I have chosen to use Leupold on all my rifles. NOT the cheapest nor necessarily the VERY best but as good as I could afford. They have NEVER let me down and the support from the company is OUTSTANDING--just as you would want and expect. That's also the brand of my binoculars. But then thats only MY opinion and experience. Regards, Vearl Brown

Old 11-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2861 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 1448

Leupold Var. X III or Nikon would be my suggestion. Somewhere in the range of 3.5X10 or 4X12 Power. This would allow you good close in use in the lower magnification range and more magnification for the shots at the longer ranges.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6700 Times on 3735 Posts
Likes Given: 6477

Old Italian proverb.

"Cheapa U buy, cheapa U get."

Consider that if looking at a long range scope under $750.

And yeah, I know, lotsa folks shot their buck last season at 800 yards with their K-Mart $99/95 "Blue light special."

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Last edited by locutus; 11-28-2012 at 11:20 PM.