i might go tacticool. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

i might go tacticool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 04:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

"Forward assist" is the "thingie" that you push forward with your right palm to make the floating bolt engage when it siezes or jams. It will sieze or jam if it is dirty, fouled, rusted, corroded, or sometimes just on its own for no apparent reason. There is no bolt handle on them as there used to be on the M1 & M14 designs, which is what you could formerly pull back on or shove forward with your right hand to assist in clearing or feeding on the M1s and M14s.

If you already have a tactical high capacity shotgun of some kind, and also a semi-auto pistol of some kind together with several magazines for it, then if you have nothing else you want to buy, no reason not to get an AR-15 type sturmgewehr.

Unless you join or form some kind of local militia, I doubt the AR is going to be of much practical use to you. The downside for using it on large game is that it is too small for that. The downside to using it on small game is that it will blow the game up and all the parts will be scattered in the bushes and get dirty. A 22LR is better for small game, and a 308 is better for large game. A shotgun is better for CQB. Food for thought. Just saying.
Yeah...I was kind of thinking the same thing...which is why I only have a 12 ga and a 22lr...idk...like I said I'm really not into the whole tactical thing...I had an AK n sold it for my money back 2 weeks later lol...I was thinking a new shotgun like a 410 rossi lever or a coach gun...I can't even hunt with a centerfire in my county...and I only go a few times to the counties over...so I feel like I'm wasting money...for 6-1000 dollars I could buy enough ammo for my guns I already have for a year BUT elections this year...idk if ill have another chance soon lol

@TooStrongTerry

Old 05-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #12

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Terry, presume u r in the lower counties. I like shotguns and rimfires too. But if you were to have one gun an AR would have to be it. I DON'T agree it is as useful as a shotgun for close quarters as a good shotgun w/#0 or 1 Buckshot but it IS useful, as it is ideal for intermediate for sure, and it is useful even at longer ranges too. They are comfortable to shoot, accurate, reliable, and are affordable to get and shoot.

If you don't need one you don't need one. But they are fun. As a general centerfire gun, they're hard to beat. AK's? Kinda a novelty to me. A really big high-cap pistol even.

I think the brands recommended are good and like the Bushmaster myself too. I have never had to use the forward assist by the way in lotsa rounds but it is, in fact, there to ensure the bolt goes home if it doesn't close by itself for some reason.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-12-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If the bolt doesn't close can't I just hit the charging handle? Or no?

Yeah...I still keep going back n forth on what I want to do. I'm leaning closer n closer to it everyday.

Would it be cheaper to build one?

@TooStrongTerry

Old 05-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8020 Times on 4386 Posts
Likes Given: 7763

No, you can't force the bolt closed by hitting the charging handle.

Or at least they did before political correctness

Old 05-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Te "forward assist" was for the M 15/16 rifles of the early Vietnam war to help over come the failure to feed common to those early rifles.....It has no real function with modern rifles and good quality ammo..It was left on the rifles because it is still in the tooling that makes the rifles...............The "forward assist" on the 22 cal look a likes is non functional in most cases.......................I enjoy my "look a like" military rifles in 22 cal because I like military rifles that I can shoot with the grand kids without the ammo costs, loud report, and recoil.....Using my full bore military stuff is still fun, but I don't shoot them often any more.

Dan

Old 05-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan01 View Post
[B]Te "forward assist" was for the M 15/16 rifles of the early Vietnam war to help over come the failure to feed common to those early rifles.....It has no real function with modern rifles and good quality ammo..It was left on the rifles because it is still in the tooling that makes the [/B]rifles..............

Dan

I agree. If a case doesn't go all the way forward, I would much rather pull the handle and eject it than push it forward and take the chance of sticking it so hard that disassembling it was necessary

Old 05-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #17

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I like to use it after doing a chamber check. I like doing chamber checks so I'm not the guy sitting up on the line embarrassed. Other than that the FA goes unused.

OP. If you want an AR get the highest quality your budget will allow. I would save my money until I no longer had to compromise. The Smith Sport is a good start but I'd go a little higher and look into a Colt 6920 or BCM. Also look into the PSA. They offer a lower priced option that looks to have all the right options. They sell a complete lower for $299 and last time I looked you can get an upper for around $400-$500.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm not personally familiar with the BCM or S&W.

But it would be hard to beat that Colt 6920.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK
They offer a lower priced option that looks to have all the right options. They sell a complete lower for $299 and last time I looked you can get an upper for around $400-$500.
Is it any good? Would I be better off buying a complete gun or building one? Would it be more economical?

@TooStrongTerry

Old 05-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #20

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry

Is it any good? Would I be better off buying a complete gun or building one? Would it be more economical?

@TooStrongTerry
I wouldn't hesitate.

I would get a complete upper and on a separate order purchase their complete lower.