i might go tacticool.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > i might go tacticool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default i might go tacticool.

So...for the first time ever...I'm thinking of an AR-15...idk why really. I have no use for it. But I finally have two firearms that I will never sell(I've traded and purchased and sold about 10 to get to this point) and my uses are fit for everything I need. I was thinking of possibly a 410 lever...but I ordered a barrel from cheapthandirt and I'm checkin out their catalog...ARs are pretty freakin sweet. SO

The vast majority of the models here in NY are the Smith & Wesson MP15 and a Bushmaster...

If I got this I would put it through the ringer. And id want something that is EXTREMELY reliable. If SHTF I wanna live a lil longer than some guy with a gun that jams after 3-400 rounds.

And...what is forward assist?

@TooStrongTerry

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Palmetto State Armory is having a great sale, they are great guns for a decent price. A forward assist is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M-16_forward_assist.jpg

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Terry, get one! once you have one you will find you like it. i don't know of anyone who hasn't held and then shot one, that didn't get the bug to have one. they are a very adaptable firearm for just about anything a person would want one for. think of them as a Lego set for adults! various calibers, different barrel lengths, different furniture, all sorts of sights or optics choices, and ect.... you can build what you want or buy one and modify it a little at a time. i have the Bushmaster carbine and really like it. basicily stock, but still tons of fun to shoot. my suggestion for the first one if you are going to buy, and i am not even going to suggest a brand, but get a fairly basic model to start off with. learn how in operates, how to field strip it to clean and maintain it. and just have fun with it.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #4

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Terry, we're in the same boat. I want one badly however, the wife has me on hold. Good luck
Your search man. I have read good stuff on S&W for entry. $600 and good to go.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:47 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm leaning towards the S&W...is forward assist incase the bolt doesn't close all the way when cycling? Like what's the point...?

@TooStrongTerry

Old 05-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #6

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry
I'm leaning towards the S&W...is forward assist incase the bolt doesn't close all the way when cycling? Like what's the point...?

@TooStrongTerry
I believe so, I'm not well versed in the AR world. Some say for target shooting, it's needless. I'm not sure.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #7

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Terry whatever you do, do not get a Bushmaster Carbon AR-15. JUNK JUNK JUNK! What kind of price range are you looking at for an AR

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 05-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #8

Liked 171 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry View Post
So...for the first time ever...I'm thinking of an AR-15...idk why really. I have no use for it. But I finally have two firearms that I will never sell(I've traded and purchased and sold about 10 to get to this point) and my uses are fit for everything I need. I was thinking of possibly a 410 lever...but I ordered a barrel from cheapthandirt and I'm checkin out their catalog...ARs are pretty freakin sweet. SO

The vast majority of the models here in NY are the Smith & Wesson MP15 and a Bushmaster...

If I got this I would put it through the ringer. And id want something that is EXTREMELY reliable. If SHTF I wanna live a lil longer than some guy with a gun that jams after 3-400 rounds.

And...what is forward assist?

@TooStrongTerry
"Forward assist" is the "thingie" that you push forward with your right palm to make the floating bolt engage when it siezes or jams. It will sieze or jam if it is dirty, fouled, rusted, corroded, or sometimes just on its own for no apparent reason. There is no bolt handle on them as there used to be on the M1 & M14 designs, which is what you could formerly pull back on or shove forward with your right hand to assist in clearing or feeding on the M1s and M14s.

If you already have a tactical high capacity shotgun of some kind, and also a semi-auto pistol of some kind together with several magazines for it, then if you have nothing else you want to buy, no reason not to get an AR-15 type sturmgewehr.

Unless you join or form some kind of local militia, I doubt the AR is going to be of much practical use to you. The downside for using it on large game is that it is too small for that. The downside to using it on small game is that it will blow the game up and all the parts will be scattered in the bushes and get dirty. A 22LR is better for small game, and a 308 is better for large game. A shotgun is better for CQB. Food for thought. Just saying.

Last edited by Shoobee; 05-12-2012 at 03:01 AM.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:55 AM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry

@TooStrongTerry
Yes the forward assist is just for that. For instance if you don't pull the charging handle far back enough or if it doesn't cycle all the way

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 05-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I disagree with the shotgun being the best CQB tool. The AR is by far the most efficient CQB tool as opposed to a shotgun or pistol. It can be used as a hunting rifle with the correct ammunition, and is just plain enjoyable to shoot!
For the Money you're going to
Spend on the S&W look at a colt, for a few more $ you can buy something that will last you a lifetime!

Good Luck with your purchase!

Fetep