I like short rifles
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > I like short rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default I like short rifles

I've been unpacking from a recent move and am rediscovering some cool stuff. I've always liked short, handy rifles because they are so much easier to drag through heavy brush and thick cover.
First up is my late 50's Win 94 in .30-30. I got it a few years ago from a local funstore, dirt cheap. The last few inches of bbl were badly blood pitted. So I cut it down to just over 16" and remounted a Marbles brass bead front sight.

This is a cut down No4 Mk1 Enfield that I got from Southern Ohio Gun 12-14 years ago. It has a No4Mk1 (T) bbl that was cut down to 17". Shoots great, but is very heavy due to the (T) bbl.

This Rem 788 (.308Win) started as a full length rifle in a birch stock. I got it well used for my 16th birthday, so we go back a way. I cut the bbl to 17" and mounted a first gen Vortex FH, reshaped the stock to fit my weld, shortened the forend, mounted an Ashley Express (XS Sights) rear peep sight sight and painted the whole thing with Gunkote and Aluma Hyde 2. A huge change from the original package that wasn't getting used anymore.

Last is my Turk Mauser 98. Also cut to 17", Hogue Overmolded stock, Aimpoint Comp ML3 & MeOpta 6x42 (both in QR rings for easy changes). The whole rifle is Gunkoted OD Green, and the stock is Aluma Hyded.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8837 Times on 3825 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Very nice! Especially like that Turk! How does it shoot for you?

BTW, there are a bunch of older Winchester levers in 44-40 that are on the ATF C&R list and have been REMOVED from the National Firearms Act list- they have 14 and 15" bbls- and do not require registration as Short Barreled Rifles- but PRICY!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had a Ruger .44 Carbine, two Inland carbines at different times, a Marlin 1895SS in 45/70, a Marlin 1894C in .357 and a LE model Mini14. All of them were a pure pleasure to shoot.

I like short rifles too.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-21-2009, 02:20 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Whats the muzzle blast like on the enfield
Neat looking 303. Nice work! You do yourself?

Old 09-21-2009, 02:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Very nice! Especially like that Turk! How does it shoot for you?

BTW, there are a bunch of older Winchester levers in 44-40 that are on the ATF C&R list and have been REMOVED from the National Firearms Act list- they have 14 and 15" bbls- and do not require registration as Short Barreled Rifles- but PRICY!
The Turk shoots great. I bought several of them at Big5 for very cheap. This one was mechanically perfect, but the stock was hammered, multiple repairs, etc. Perfect for my project.

I had not heard that the old Wins were taken off the NFA list. NICE!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I had a Ruger .44 Carbine, two Inland carbines at different times, a Marlin 1895SS in 45/70, a Marlin 1894C in .357 and a LE model Mini14. All of them were a pure pleasure to shoot.

I like short rifles too.
I had a Ruger .44, too. Very fun. I shot it in a police match once for giggles. Bent the plates something fierce. Oops! Mine had a cracked stock, which seems to be common with them. Got rid of it years ago.

I have a couple of M1 carbines. Will dig them out and post pics. I had an 1895 .45-70 that Phil Sims made into a takedown for me in the early 90's. Had him turn the bbl down to a trimmer profile, mount some Steyr SSG sights and port it, too. Ended up giving that one to my dad. It was very cool, and one of a kind.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Whats the muzzle blast like on the enfield
Neat looking 303. Nice work! You do yourself?
It is not too bad if you're firing it. Ha. I got it that way from Southern Ohio Gun. They said they were "experimental British Para Trooper carbines". Yeah, sure. But I do think the conversion was done in the 60's, like they said. The wood all matches, and you can see where the cut end was oiled along with the orig places on the stock. SOG would not have done that, so I think they got them that way. But who knows?

Another member on my home forum has the same rifle, but he's never fired his.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The Ruger .44's tend to crack around the wrist. Mine was an early/no magazine model and I kick myself for selling it. I recently saw it for sale on the same website where I sold it. Except it was for sale for $200. more than when I sold it. Otherwise I might have tried to buy it back.

I recently bought back my first .357, a 4" GP100.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-21-2009, 02:49 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I too am a short rifle fan. I 've been looking at a Ruger 77 compact in 308. A 16.5" barrel is pretty handy.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:56 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Very nice Enfield. I wish I still had the one I sold (gave away) in 1965.
Put that USGI web sling on that nice rifle properly before you drop it and end up with a ding on the stock.