Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > I have another question for anyone who will help me to go along with my riflequestion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I have another question for anyone who will help me to go along with my riflequestion

Since I'm getting my dad a rifle for his birthday, I will also have to get him a scope with it. The name that I hear alot is Leupold, but I don't know much about it considering my time is spent on hair, makeup, and shoes!! What is the best brand of scope and what should the distance on it be to hunt deer?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5108 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

leupold is an excellent brand. there are various types and styles within the brand. a good way is to present the rifle then let him pick the scope.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Nikon monarch and don't think twice.

Leupold are ok you can get more scope for less money with Nikon Monarchs and Bushnell elite 4200 and 6500...

Old 07-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #4

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

These guys rock!

SWFA Riflescopes

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personally would go with a Nikon. I find them to be great scopes for the money. Nothing wrong with a Leupold but you're going to pay more for them.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I personally prefer the glass on my Leopold's over my Nikon, but as always, you get what you pay for no matter what the brand is and this is where my bias is.

Look at the Nikon Buckmaster and compare it to the Leopold VX-1. These are comparable priced optics and your eyes will tell you what is best suited for you.

Many people are brand loyal because they have had good experiences with certain manufacturers. I sell optics the same way I sell firearms. I find out what the customer's needs are, determine their price range, and show them their options. This work for me and makes my customers very happy, because what's right for me is not always what's right for the customer. Good luck, Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #7

Default whirley

rs ago in Pa. we had a jim dandy opening day for deer season. Freezing rain, snow, wind etc.etc. Everyone 's scopes fogged up, EXCEPT Leupold. For a long time, hunters refused to buy anything else. I'm sure scopes have improved. However that advice to give your father the rifle and let him pick his scope is very sound advice. Personally, I still buy Leupold. Once is enough.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #8

Leupold or Nikon

Old 07-11-2010, 02:13 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
These guys rock!

SWFA Riflescopes
Well that's your opinion,Cane.

Personally,I think they SUCK. Twice,I have called them and talked to a sales person and asked if they had certain scopes in stock so I could compare them in person. They always say they have them,and then after I drive about 40 miles to Red Oak,Tx to SWFA,they don't have any of the scopes I asked about in stock.
The way I see it,SWFA owes me about $40 dollars of diesel fuel and a few hours of my life back.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:25 AM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Well that's your opinion,Cane.

Personally,I think they SUCK. Twice,I have called them and talked to a sales person and asked if they had certain scopes in stock so I could compare them in person. They always say they have them,and then after I drive about 40 miles to Red Oak,Tx to SWFA,they don't have any of the scopes I asked about in stock.
The way I see it,SWFA owes me about $40 dollars of diesel fuel and a few hours of my life back.
Never had any problems myself with SWFA, THB, either through ordering online or going to their place...?